sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Mako Parts - AND - What is a MAKO

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:50 am

Well, I may be in way over my head. But here's the deal. I've maintained a bunch of compressors over the years, and even swapped hoses and added fill whips and basic stuff like that. But I have never rebuilt one.

Now I have 2 comrpessors that I need a rebuild to work. They turn, they have clean oil and they're "mostly" intact. However, I have no idea as to where to get a rebuild kit for these things.

One is a Mako K-14, which I undrerstand is a Bauer block. Is this true?

I also have a small gas Mako, again everything turns and the oils are clean, just need a rebuild kit.

Does anyone know of a company that sells rebuild kits for these? I would like to replace the reed valves and gaskets along with new filters etc.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Re: Mako Parts - AND - What is a MAKO

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:37 pm

Nice acquisitions! Try August Industries in Carrollton Texas first for parts for to steer you in right direction. I believe Antique Diver would be the best to comment on Mako's. From what I understand the K14 is pretty bullet proof and were originally imported blocks assembled in Ocala FLA with other components and labeled MAKO. I looked into buying a K14 and another smaller Mako like your gas one before finding my RIX. Not so sure if I wouldn't fire up the little one and slowly run up to 500, 1000, etc on progressive runs after a good going over and more web research. Easy for me to say however....Keep us posted.....the vintage community is small but the self owned compressor community is even smaller compared to # divers out there....Look forward to seeing this project unfold.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:46 pm

Steve,

I'd say you hit the nail on the head. Here's the sticker from the gas compressor:

I'm fairly certain you're also correct about the K-14 being a bauer block. I'll call August and Bauer tomorrow and see if they can set me straight. Even if they don't sell the parts, I can probably get them to point in the right direction. I'll let you know what they tell me.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:44 pm

Steve is right on all points. It is an old Bauer K14 block maybe from as far back as the 70's. I couldn't read the serial number but that might help date it, or you may find a number stamped on the block. Browse around on www.augustindustries.com and get a feel for the parts available. They have a ton of stuff not on the website, and maybe some stuff to help restore yours since Bauer had the habit of using interchangeable parts in a lot of applications. It is impossible to tell what you need without pulling valves, heads and cylinders. The cylindrical separators and filter must be thoroughly inspected for flaws that could be dangerous under pressure. I can't see much of the small block, but there are probably a lot of parts available for it too. Look for a model number.
The older I get the better I was.

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:24 am

Any updates? How goes it?

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:28 am

Please call Porter Styles (August Industries)this guy is the real brain of compressors. :D
He is sending me a new third stage final piston and sleeve for my Bauer Utilus gas compressor.On the phone knew exactly what the problem was bauers poor gravity system of oiling the piston. :evil: :cry:

My Bauer Oceanus has composite third stage rings and an oil pump. 8) :P
JL

Return to “Compressor Talk”