scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

RIX Compressors

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:52 am

Anyone savvy on RIX compressors? I have located a pretty good deal on an electric 5hp 5.5CFM unit.....I am familiar with Mako, Ingersoll. How does the Rix stack up?

Thanks!

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: RIX Compressors

Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Do you have a model number or maybe a photo?

I have a gasoline powered 5 cfm RIX SA-6 type, oil-less 3 stage. So far it works great, but only has about 31 hours on it to date. The one you are looking at may be the same 3 stage compressor block assembly. Some of them come without a purification filter tower, only having the moisture separators, since no oil is used in the compressor. I added a filter tower. It uses composite rings (maybe Teflon) and exposed rods and crankshaft (not really a crankshaft, but a "wobble" device which pushes the rods) with sealed bearings having grease zerks. This compressor is hard to describe.

I think the manual calls for replacing the rings every 100 hours to prevent them from wearing to the point that the metal pistons can contact the cylinder walls.

The 2007 price list shows a 5 hp SA-6, 230 Volt, single phase at $7530.
Mine was new, unused Navy Surplus with an interesting metal label:
"USN Portable SCUBA Jamming Compressor". It "jams" my tanks just fine!
The older I get the better I was.

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:00 am

Thanks for the info Antique Diver. I am intriqued with the whole Rix oilless concept. Previously had myself set on a Mako K14 or Ingersoll 223. We are up to 8 divers in my family now including in-laws, nephews, neices, wife and kids so I think we qualify for a bigger compressor. My little Cornelius was a great start, but it's probably time to move up for the right deal.

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:13 am

Another good choice for a fixed base unit is a Bauer K14. Years ago Mako imported the Bauer blocks from Germany, and built their systems around these until Bauer opened a branch in Virginia. I would skip the old Mako and go for a newer Bauer model.

While I am satisfied with the Rix for a portable, the Bauer will give you lots of hours without having to deal with that 100 hour light overhaul. Parts will be a little more accessible. Any used compressor, no matter the make, can be an expensive problem if it is worn out. Good luck in your search. I don't mean to confuse you, and if you like the Rix and it works well at a good price, it should serve you well.

Check out http://www.augustindustries.com for HP air materials and supplies. They can also get Rix parts for you.

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:25 am

If you plan on continuous blending a high oxygen mix then the Rix might be a better choice other wise I would go with Bauer.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:53 pm

captain wrote:If you plan on continuous blending a high oxygen mix then the Rix might be a better choice other wise I would go with Bauer.
Thanks Captain... that's the reason I picked the Rix to start with, and I failed to mention that advantage. Guess I'm not breathing a rich enough mixture lately! :?

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:06 am

Looks like this Rix thing is happening, believe it is a 6A model....so far phone calls/getting pics today.

Can you tell me the general maintenance points to look at before start up and contact for rings/components & manual (PDF file anyone?).....so far I understand it has grease zerks on rods and takes a special lube at those points. I have a spare Spraque accumulator that I intend to set up for mosture filtration .....

Thanks,

Steve

antique diver
Master Diver

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:30 pm

If you can't find the manual online, you can order one for $35 from August Industries in Carrollton, TX, 972-245-7000. Specify SA6 or SA3 depending upon actual compressor you end up with. It is a pretty complete manual. They are no longer carrying parts, but you can obtain parts direct from Rix by contacting: Eric Zensius, Phone: 707.747.5900 x 226
E-mail: [email protected]

They do require their specific and expensive ($34 in 2008) grease on the rod bearings. I might also mention that there is a printed statement on their price list saying "Under no circumstances should this compressor be used for compressing oxygen or oxygen enriched air or gases".

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:19 pm

"Under no circumstances should this compressor be used for compressing oxygen or oxygen enriched air or gases"

I think that is the standard ass cover all the compressor manufacturers use.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver

Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:08 pm

captain wrote:"Under no circumstances should this compressor be used for compressing oxygen or oxygen enriched air or gases"

I think that is the standard ass cover all the compressor manufacturers use.

Yep, but I never let it stop me. 8)

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:32 am

Antique,

Looks like I'm getting a 6A that was stored 8 years ago. I have downloaded and read the maintenance manual and have Rix #. I intend full inspection and service prior to start up. Still not sure what motor 5HP (single or three phase) is on it and owner not sure.

[*]Image

Thanks,

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:38 am

ScubaSteve,

I use the Rix grease, their part number A45-110. The 2009 price list showed it at $35.19, and makes the statement that "This is a special lubricant required for sustained high pressure load. Use no Substitute." While this grease is undoubtedly made by a lubricant company, I was unable to find another quick and easy source for it, so just bought a tube from Rix.

In a phone conversation with Rix employee, Eric Zensius, he said that grease was also required on the crank assembly of a little Rix Oxygen Booster compressor that I was working on for a fire department. He said it would stay in place and not sling off like most other lubricants they had tested.

BTW, the motor in the photo appears to be a single phase... just guessing that because of the box on the left side of motor that is generally used to house the start capacitor required on single phase motor. It's not needed on 3 phase.

Check your email for access to the 2009 price list in Excel format. Anyone else that wants a copy can just email me.
Good luck with your project & I hope it works as well for you as mine does. :D

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:27 pm

My Rix 6A came in today. I picked it up at the freight terminal and was suprised at how large it was. It was shipped on a pallet. I got this from a fire dept. that upgraded compressors so bought sight unseen as it seems a great deal. After a cursory look it appears all is well, turns over, and intact. I am going to wire it in this weekend in my shop and do some prelimary maintenance prior to start up. Only problem is the fan has one blade broken off and the backpressure/fill yoke is missing. My problem is the backpresure valve and not sure it I can run without one.

Thanks,

Steve

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Steve,

The back pressure valve is very important. Pressure needs to build quickly in the 3rd stage to hold the floating piston against the rod end and prevent damage. The manual warns against running without it, and stresses that it must be located either directly at the compressor outlet or after the dryer cylinder (final separator). That would be before any purification filter that may have been installed or you may install. Here's one source at a significant savings over one from Rix: http://augustindustries.com/p287/Back_P ... _info.html

I also found a reference to the special grease that we discussed earlier, saying it is a "special Teflon resin lubricant designed for sustained high pressure operation. Substitute greases will reduce rod life."

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

captain
Plank Owner

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Might want to drop these folks a line.

http://www.greasexpert.com/index.php?pa ... &pid=33#33
Captain

Return to “Compressor Talk”