scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

RIX running compressor

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:08 pm

Thought a video of it running could be the grand fanale'. Perhaps in future I will add Nitrox capability.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N44KmMzlIRU[/youtube]

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: RIX Compressors

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm glad it is working well for you. I watched the video and it sounds good. Mine is gasoline engine powered, and a consequently a bit louder. It still has the Navy ID plate on it, calling it a "Scuba Jamming Compressor". You are definitely the resident Rix expert after overhauling yours, and I know who to contact if I have trouble with mine.
The older I get the better I was.

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:50 am

Update to anyone following this thread. I have a grand total of 7 hours and around 20 tank fills on the RIX since overhaul and average around 21 minutes per run up to 2800 PSI/bleed off coalescers, etc. Last steel 72 fill was clocked at 10.5 minutes from 500 PSI to 2250 PSI with pressure switch to blow off at 2500 PSI. Greased again the zerk fittings at five hours TT (inspection purposes) on ball ends and no obvious wear since switching to LUCAS HD high temp grease...Only problem was the final Sprague filter being mounted on side, should have vertical mounted long ago...had to dissemble, clean up and repack. Mounted final filter vertical and added bleed at bottom of it. :)

htiger
Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:59 am

ScubaSteve,

I would love to see your compressor set up sometime (but do not want to impose); I'm pretty sure that we're neighbors.

Jim

d o v e r {at} econequity dot com
2 7 9 - 1 7 0 3

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Rix Update: One and 1/2 years now and pumping great. I am using Lucas Heavy Duty Low Sling hydraulic grease for the rod ends and this works great on my unit though Rix recommend s their brand grease. I service every 10 hours vs. 25 to baby the unit and makes for a great running machine. Performing Rix maintence schedule I am getting 500 PSI on stage two output which is book specs. I also added a Kidde water separator late last year for extra moisture protection.

0-2500 psi = 12 minutes flat direct from compressor.

Not sure who cares about this but with 3K+ hits on this thread someone is reading it.

maniago
First Name: Mick

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:37 pm

Bumping this thread.

Can I get a part number on the Lucas grease please? Can't find it via google search or on Lucas' website. Rebuilding an SA6 from ground up and I'd like use this for my heim joints.

Thanks for any help!

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:56 am

As requested, pic of Lucas grease below. Use at your own risk/judgement as RIX does not recommend anything but their own lubricant for the unit......

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:59 pm

Here's a pic of the final filtration set up....

1) Moisture separator
2) Sprague hydraulic accumulator for residual dust.

Works for me....

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:22 am

Four years and many cylinders later this Rix is pumping fantastic. Better than I could have expected and clean pure breathing air.

Very little maintenance....recommend this unit to all.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:25 am

scubasteve59 wrote:Four years and many cylinders later this Rix is pumping fantastic. Better than I could have expected and clean pure breathing air.

Very little maintenance....recommend this unit to all.
That's good news, and I can say the same about my Rix. I found a local source for the Lucas lubricant that you are using, and will be trying it when I run out of my original Rix stuff. Thanks for the info on that.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Compressor Talk”