couv
Master Diver

Educate me on high pressure hoses and fittings.

Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:23 pm

Please educate me on high pressure hoses and fittings.

While having custom made hoses may be ideal, there is something to be said about having at least one end with a reusable JIC fitting. For instance, if I were to purchase a hose such as this https://www.augustindustries.com/produc ... flex-hose/ + https://www.augustindustries.com/produc ... -hose-end/ from August, I'd want one end to have a crimped female JIC and the other end open so I might install something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C ... 0DER&psc=1 or https://www.mcmaster.com/52305K71/

How does one determine if the I.D. and O.D. of a particular hose is compatible with the fitting one wishes to install?

TIA

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Educate me on high pressure hoses and fittings.

Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:58 pm

The fittings you refer to from McMaster-Carr are for use with a specific hose (Parker 302, made for hydraulic use), and are not really compatible with the hoses you see at August Industries, which are designed for breathing quality compressed air. Best bet is to determine what ends you need, and the length of hose desired, then order that assembly from August. They are custom made in house with quick turnaround time (usually made within 2 days), and are compatible with up to 6000 psi breathing quality air. I have used their crimping equipment, hoses and fittings to make hundreds of hoses over a 21 year period.

I generally use JIC fittings on each end for stock to have on hand, then can use their adapters to connect to other fittings as needed. If you have some specific needs on end fittings and not sure how or what to order I will be glad to advise if you would like some help. Post here or use my email contact.
The older I get the better I was.

couv
Master Diver

Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:27 am

Thanks Bill,

For the most part having custom made hoses is what I intend on doing.

I guess I should have asked a more specific question, "Are there any reusable JIC fittings that can be installed with hand tools that are compatible with the high pressure hoses sold at August?" I know that is a more expensive option, but I would like to have at least one handy.

Thanks,

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:06 am

couv wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:27 am
Thanks Bill,

For the most part having custom made hoses is what I intend on doing.

I guess I should have asked a more specific question, "Are there any reusable JIC fittings that can be installed with hand tools that are compatible with the high pressure hoses sold at August?" I know that is a more expensive option, but I would like to have at least one handy.

Thanks,

Couv

Couv, I don't know of any reusable fittings for the HOSE-3 hp hose sold by August Industries. That would be a nice product to have, but I get by ok with the fixed fittings and assorted JIC and NPT adapters.

If the reusable fittings suit you better just be sure to get the compatible hose. In the McMaster specs for the fittings it shows the proper hose type, and I'm sure they have that. It does give you the flexibility to customize your lengths onsite as needed. I don't know if there is any real downside to using hydraulic hose versus "breathing air" rated hose. Might be some rubbery smell or taste with the former?

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:47 pm

Parker makes field fittings. The 526ba uses the 55 series crimp fittings but if you call them they may be able to tell you which field fitting series to use. Tube ID is 1/4". Not a big fan of using them in general especially given how expensive they are and prefer to just keep a spare hose around if you're doing something where you couldn't wait a couple days for the hydraulic shop to make you a new one.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:14 am

antique diver wrote:
I generally use JIC fittings on each end for stock to have on hand, then can use their adapters to connect to other fittings as needed.
Seeing that Bill was my mentor on putting my compressor together, this is where he guided me after I had this absurd (costly) planned layout of Swagelok QD fittings... JIC is the way to go as it is so easy to work on.

YMMV
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:50 pm

rhwestfall wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:14 am
antique diver wrote:
I generally use JIC fittings on each end for stock to have on hand, then can use their adapters to connect to other fittings as needed.
Seeing that Bill was my mentor on putting my compressor together, this is where he guided me after I had this absurd (costly) planned layout of Swagelok QD fittings... JIC is the way to go as it is so easy to work on.

YMMV
Here's some of the many options to adapt JIC equipped hoses to other connections. There are other very useful ones that I am out of at this time.

Return to “Compressor Talk”