SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Tornado 3000-4-3

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:24 am

Ready for the New Oil Seal
- Last night I managed to dig out the rest of the bad oil seal. It still looks chewed up around the rim but the snap ring groove is still good (I installed it in the photo above to be sure). The snap ring will be removed before installing the new seal.
- What you're looking at here is the end of the drive shaft for the fan. It goes right into/thru the oil pump. The sequence of parts will be: New Seal, Snap Ring, Washer, Fan Bushing, and fan with integral shock spring. The fan actually connects to the shaft thru the Fan Spring. The spring looks like a recoil spring and has a hook in the end and that catches in a notch on the fan bushing.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:56 pm

That first photo of the seal body coming out was pretty ugly. I was hoping that the area where the seal seats in the body is ok, and now it looks like you have it under control. Good job Eben... how would you like a part time job in Texas?
The older I get the better I was.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:40 am

We'll See...
- The seal that came out was a 2-piece affair... front and back with the back cup crimped over the front cup. It was difficult to know what I was digging out because I'd never done this before and didn't know what oil seals look like inside. I think if I had realized it was a front and back style, I would have worked at opening the crimp. Then maybe drill a hole in the front seal and use a puller. Wouldn't be able to do that with the back cup but it might have come out easier if I hadn't already chewed it up getting the front cup pried out thru the crimp. 2-piece oil seals are kind of rare. When Jim sent me the new replacement seal, it was just one piece unit. I asked where's the other half?
- My first attempt at installing a new oil seal leaked... It's possible I damaged the outer sealing surface. But also possible I just didn't install it with a proper sealing compound. The seal is metal on metal slip fit on the outside. The seal around the fan shaft is a very sophisticated synthetic material that's backed by a circle of spring tension. Jim sent me a new seal and I'm awaiting delivery of a sealing compound before proceeding.
- This is the new 1-piece seal. I'm going to install it with some bearing retainer sealant on the metal to metal outside surface. Gotta get it started gently onto the shaft and then tap it squarely with a socket until it's fully seated with sealant. Let it cure for 24 hours and hopefully it will seal up my oil leak. Many thanks to Jim Shelden for guiding me through this and supplying the seals. Apparently oil seals like this are commonly available at stores that sell bearings. But I looked into it and there seems to be 1001 varieties... Much easier to just get the correct one from Jim! :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Compressor Talk”