Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Wetsuit
Diver
First Name: Dave

Dacor R4 rebuild

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:34 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years,

As a Christmas gift to myself i picked up a Dacor R4 and once it arrives am looking forward to rebuilding it. But am not having a lot of luck finding replacement parts and information on rebuilding it. Was hoping that someone out there as experience with this regulator and a source for replacement parts and advice for things to lookout for when servicing.

Thanks and happy holidays

Wetsuit

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Dacor R4 rebuild

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:21 am

Parts for Dacor are hard to come by and when you do they are over 40 years old so they are not the best. I have some NOS high pressure diaphragms (part #16) for the reg and maybe a LP and/or HP seat. I suspect the hoses and mouthpiece valves are too hard to reasonably use so they will need to be replaced. Your easiest option is to use a reproduction USD or Voit hose loop.

I have not done it with a Dacor seat but I suspect you can resurface the HP seat. I have done so with lots of Mistral and DAAM seats so I don't see a reason it won't work with a Dacor seat. Odds are you will have to do this once you remove it because you can never get the seat back in it's original position and it will not seal properly so you might as well plan on resurfacing it before reassembling the reg. If you need help with this, just ask.

Service info is easy, if you go to the manuals and catalogs tab (bottom of home page) you can download a parts and service manual for the R4. The first one in the list has the R4 in it.

Check your PM box.
Herman

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:30 am

Congratulations on your Dacor R4 acquisition. The Dacors have a stylish look to them that I have always admired. In fact I have two Dacors: A "Dial-a-Breath" that I think is an R1 or R2 and a C3 Clipper... Which I think is the same as your R4 except for the exhaust system. I fooled around with the R1 a little and dove with it once. But I learned the C3 and R4 are much better so when I got a chance to buy the C3, I got one and set the R1 aside. But alas, I still haven't done anything with rebuilding either of them.

SwimJim has an R4 he fixed up and he dives it regularly on our Fortune Pond trips. He has given me advice and tips. I hope you'll post your progress here as I'm interested to learn how to fix up my own Dacor.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:30 am

If not deeply grooved the HP seats can normally be refinished in the same manner as the unbalanced Aqualung regs. I have a few new old stock seats available. Email me if you need info on refinishing or new seats.
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:41 pm

I own an R2, a C2, C3 and two R-4's. The Clipper 2 is new to me and I have not "tested" it as of yet. My C 3 breaths almost as well as a DA. My R -4's aren't bad either. As mentioned, keep the original hose loop for posterity and use a USD hose loop with it. Even the Dacor 1.5 inch mouth piece systems were IMHO "klunky" and did not breath very well. The Dacor first stage diaphragms were probably pretty nice back in the day. However, after sitting around for 60 years they are stiff as a board. Unfortunately, there are no modern replacements. The good news however, with some use these old HP diaphragms do regain their flexibility. Don't judge the reg on one dive.... or even two or three. In my experience, it takes around four or five dives to get the reg functioning well.
If you go BY THE BOOK you will have success. The reg must be positioned between your shoulder blades and against your back for true success. You should swim in a slightly heads up position. If you do that, the reg will breath well and you will enjoy it. It's a darn shame we live so far apart. I'd like to help you along with the project. Dacor's get a bad rap by those who don't give them a proper chance and don't dive them the way a double hose should be dove. A Kraken, a built up RAM, DA or a Mistral are all VERY nice regs and are also forgiving to those who insist on diving them with a BC or even a modern backplate. These systems tend to have the reg ride behind your head and to far behind your back. With a VDH back plate, or a repro Klauda harness you will have your double hose in the orientation it was mean't to be and you will get the most out of it. You may never dive a single hose again!
I wish you the best of luck with your R -4 project! I hope you have half the success I have. If that's the case you will really enjoy it.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:48 pm

Oh by the way. The R - 4 has an adjustable IP. Problem is, you can't go down to your LDS for an IP gauge for it. When you get that far, you'll want to get together with Herman who..... if you ask nice..... can set you up. :wink:

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”