Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Who Did The Best Regulator Chrome Jobs?

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:16 am

Well here is something no one has mentioned yet. The best US chrome jobs IMO are (in order of precedence) early Sportsways, Healthways, DACOR, then Voit up to the mid-60s followed by West Pico /Dehli USD (USD started to truly suck chrome-wise after 67 IMO). Whatcha think? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Re: Who Did The Best Regulator Chrome Jobs?

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Healthways didn't prep their metal very well, and got a very rough surface on the Scuba and the Deluxe. The chrome seems to be relatively durable, though. The GL seems better (prettier).

My Sportsways regs are really nice.

The early DivAirs had a nicely chromed cover, but every late one (plastic body) I've seen sucked. The coating was very thin and always worn away.

You're right about some of the USD stuff. Every shiny chrome DA and RAM I've had or have is covered in tiny bare spots.

The nicest chrome I've seen is on the Spiro Mistrals. That is a nice chrome job! Their rubber lasts as well.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Who Did The Best Regulator Chrome Jobs?

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:41 pm

I have a soft spot for Dacor regs. Their labels were crappy, but the chrome was good. Nemrod did really nice work. Not just the chrome but the details. :D

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”