Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

CO2 and J-Valves

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:13 am

- We had an incident recently where a modern diver was be towed by a vintage diver on a scooter and the modern diver's "Safe" second went into free flow and promptly emptied the Scuba tank. They treated it like a simple out of air situation and surfaced without incident. BUT... There are two aspects of Vintage diving that DID and COULD HAVE made the situation safer:

- First, the modern diver had zero air when they reached the surface. That's no air for the inflator to fill the BCD. The Vintage diver pulled the cord on a CO2 vest and there was instant floatation. I have had my Vintage CO2 vest referred to as a "Suicide Vest" by modern diving instructors no less. On the other hand, the US Navy Seals still wear inflatable vests and they even have two separate CO2 mechanisms... They can inflate their vest twice in the same dive if they have to.

- Second, if the modern diver had a J-Valve (reserve) the free flow would have stopped when the tank still had 300 psi. A pull on the J-Rod would have given the modern diver breathing air as well as BCD inflation. I have also had my Vintage J-Valves referred to as "Suicide Valves" by modern diving instructors. But when XS Scuba introduced modern production J-Valves a few years ago, I found out they are a Workers Safety requirement by OSHA for commercial divers.

- What I'm taking from this incident is that CO2 inflation is GOOD. And J-Valve reserves are also GOOD. And furthermore, the J-Valve reserve should be turned ON even if you're diving with a pressure gauge. :wink:
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: CO2 and J-Valves

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:31 pm

Score one for vintage diving equipment and techniques!
The older I get the better I was.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:38 pm

You got me thinking now. I typically turn mine off, but I have had a couple recent air leaks due to operator failure. One at the beginning of my dive and one just as I was ending a dive and still at 90'. I might take your advice on that one.

On a side note, I wonder if XS scuba was smart like the VDH guys, and made the new j's as a replica of the old ones to use the all same parts. Ya, I already know the answer.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Chris
Master Diver

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Think of all the "vintage" stuff that would still be in stores if scuba manufacturers had the insight to simply quadruple the price and put "tech" in the description. Course, people then might have been smart enough to see through that scam.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:20 am

XS is bringing EVERYTHING back... I see now they even have brand new valves with 1/2" tapered threads.
https://www.xsscuba.com/xs-scuba-valves ... pt-threads
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Chris
Master Diver

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:55 am

I wish they would bring back the cheater bar manifold but with a 3440psi rating.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Have you seen he price tag on the new "Military" Solid Bar Manifold they make? :shock:
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Chris
Master Diver

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:48 pm

XS Scuba seems to not think their prices through. Make a 1/2" tank valve, $79. Add more brass to make it 1", now its $55. Now, sell it without the DIN insert, and we're back up to $79 again. Maybe this winter I'll start tearing appart old valves and going through the vdh threads on rebuilding them. Just for something more to learn me.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”