Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Re: "Build Your Own Diving Lung", Revisited in 2018

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Duh'oh! Where do these otherworldly beings gain this logic? It's undeniable, but somehow......ours is irresistible.
To us.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:08 pm

antique diver wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:38 pm
Wife to Bill:
When are we going to start remodeling the other guest bathroom? Why is that Aviator thingy taking so long?

Bill, I know you have a winner in Francie as do I with my wife. There are, however, certain truisms in many marriages that withstand the test of time. :D
BMAM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Vancetp
Master Diver

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Another interesting exhaust design, again from the Polish Automatiky site:

http://www.lola.cz/cs/muzeum/scuba-vint ... /trygon-dh

This is a purge valve kind of setup that is external and exhausts near-ish the center of the diaphragm. Something like this might work.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:15 pm

Vancetp wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:36 pm
Another interesting exhaust design, again from the Polish Automatiky site:

http://www.lola.cz/cs/muzeum/scuba-vint ... /trygon-dh

This is a purge valve kind of setup that is external and exhausts near-ish the center of the diaphragm. Something like this might work.
That's an interesting set up, and I may end up with something similar for the exhaust. Thank you for the ideas you have been providing, and please keep it up! :D
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:00 pm

I was going to check this out at the hardware store the other day but got waylaid. I wonder if copper pipe reducers are available ? One could run a short piece of one inch O.D. into a lets say and 1.5 inch to one inch reducer. A piece of 1.5 O.D. about say four inches long would plug into the reducer. A duckbill could be fitted to the one inch and exhaust into the 1.5. This way the duck bill would be protected like it would be in an exhaust can. The whole mess could be riveted to the "can" of the dilluter. Just a thought.
Jim

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:46 pm

swimjim wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:00 pm
I was going to check this out at the hardware store the other day but got waylaid. I wonder if copper pipe reducers are available ? One could run a short piece of one inch O.D. into a lets say and 1.5 inch to one inch reducer. A piece of 1.5 O.D. about say four inches long would plug into the reducer. A duckbill could be fitted to the one inch and exhaust into the 1.5. This way the duck bill would be protected like it would be in an exhaust can. The whole mess could be riveted to the "can" of the dilluter. Just a thought.
Jim
Good idea, Swimjim. I can picture exactly what you propose as a way to protect the flimsy duckbill. That little flap of thin rubber could be pretty vulnerable to getting kinked or torn. I'm pretty sure that all those parts are available. Currently using a 3/4 tee for the hose and duckbill connection and that works fine. Probably would have to go from that to 1.5 to cover a duckbill adequately.

I appreciate your ideas and hope you will keep them coming!

My next test dive will be with the duckbill exposed again and some fittings left unsoldered to see just what positions will work out ok underwater. Once I get a position that works to suit me I can start giving more thought to a protective cover.

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:16 am

TEST DIVE 2 coming up.

New configuration of Bendix reg was arranged to keep exhaled air from entering the main body where it previously mixed with the incoming air. The exhale hose and duckbill valve are attached to the body, but internally sealed so that all exhaled gas goes directly to the water.

For convenience and saving time I put my VDH backplate into service instead of building a new "vintage" version yet. The Bendix mounts right into place between my back and the tank valve for a nice comfortable fit. Also for convenience I am temporarily using a modern hose and mouthpiece setup. If the reg works out ok on this next text dive I will come up with a more vintage appropriate backplate and hose assembly later.
32.IMG_3613.JPG
33.IMG_3615.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

swimjim
Master Diver

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:41 am

Really looking like a regulator now!

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:36 am

swimjim wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:41 am
Really looking like a regulator now!
Looks better to me too, Swimjim. I wish you were here to participate. :D

"Today Is The Day" we see if it works!

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:57 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:03 am

Took the "diving lung" for a pool dive test today, and was really pleased with the results. :D :D :D

Breathed easy enough in all positions to keep me comfortable, and dry in all. It actually performed better than expected, and it was a pleasure to dive with during easy swimming in the 8' deep pool. Heavy breathing increased the inhalation effort quite a bit, as it did on the bench testing, but I may be able to get improvement by increasing the intermediate pressure adjustment. I'll give that a try before taking it to the lake in the next week or two.

I didn't find the exhaust valve's position to left of diaphragm center to be a big issue, but as expected did experience slight free flowing if I swam with right side down. Neither that nor leaving it exposed bothers me at this time. I have no problem diving with it in the current configuration, but still want to devise its own vintage style pack and hose/mouthpiece assembly in the near future. :D
MICR0579 (2) (1280x960).jpg
MICR0591 (2) (1280x960).jpg
MICR0601 (2) (1280x960).jpg

swimjim
Master Diver

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:16 am

All right! Thumbs up Bill!

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm

swimjim wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:16 am
All right! Thumbs up Bill!
Thanks, Swimjim. I know you would like diving with this contraption, but I'd be concerned that you would want to take to 120' or more! :roll:

Just to amuse myself I think I'll take the whole rig down to the local dive boutique and see if they will fill it up with Oxygen.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Awesome!! Congrats on the successful test!

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:26 pm

Vancetp wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:12 pm
Awesome!! Congrats on the successful test!
Thank you, Phillip. I appreciate your interest and the helpful tips and photos you provided.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”