Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Over Pressure/Mistral conversion

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Here's another Over-Pressure, this time a Mistral conversion. I got it from Skip as a parts regulator, as it was missing the original yoke, yoke nut, body washer, HP guts, mouthpiece and hoses. The cans and HP valve are very nice and the duckbill is perfect. Odd how these O-Ps had rubber that lasted and lasted.

I put it together, replacing the missing parts with the usual single stage stuff and the original yoke with a Mistral part. The original fit very few tank valves. My first one had the original yoke and didn't fit any of my valves except the doubles with a USD manifold.

Here's some pics:

Note the original barbed nozzle with a bit of green hose on it.
[a href="https://flic.kr/p/KwtESP"]Image

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Over Pressure/Mistral conversion

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:28 am

The reg with original yoke WILL fit valves of that reg’s era. If you are trying to fit it on “modern” valves, it is sort of like putting low-profile radial tires on 1950 rims. Also remember that original yokes should be mounted to tanks of 2500 psi or less.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Re: Over Pressure/Mistral conversion

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Well it won't fit on my 1955 Rene tank with a USD 1/2 " npt valve. Or my other 1/2" valves... I suppose it might fit on some early valves, but not any of mine but the doubles manifold. And, I don't have any tanks but 2150's. Except my PCP rifle fill tank which is not used for scuba.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”