Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

PRAM Repair options

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:02 am

Guys - today we took a boat wake while gearing up and my PRAM took a header with a big steel tank attached to it.

Intake horn is FUBAR - I’m afraid if I try to beat it back into shape like a blacksmith, I’ll do more damage. The main diaphragm seat is OK and is airtight.

What are opinions? Leave it alone, albeit bent up and pushed in an eighth of an inch or try to source a new intake box, remove the 1st stage and swap onto an undamaged one? BTW, if anyone has a spare intake can, I think I need one! Chrome or satin finish is OK

THANKS !!!

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Re: PRAM Repair options

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:55 am

I remember SwimJim made a rig that helped him reshape cans. He posted an interesting video about it. Hope he chimes in (and reposts the video - would love to see that again).

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Yes, my concern on this is that the horn took all the weight of the rig plus a full steel Faber 80 - pushed it it and bent it over

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:20 pm

The video I made was about straightening cans. It may help. Here's the link... https://vimeo.com/55484797 . If you could post a picture, that may help the diagnosis.

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:46 pm

As you see at the base of the intake horn - pushed in and the horn is bent over a few degrees to the hookah fitting - no damage to the circular diaphragm fit, it’s airtight.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:37 pm

If this were my regulator I would leave well enough alone as long as the LP diaphragm is happy. It ain't broke, it just has more character! Now you'll just have to make up a good story about how it "really" happened...... wink wink nudge nudge. :lol:

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:45 pm

George,

I like SwimJims idea. You could blame it on a Megladon attack or a heard of maurading coelacanths. :D

I think I have an extra AM body-side can in my pile of parts but if it is the one I'm thinking of it will need a bit of TLC - horn is straight however. I'll check tonight or tomorrow if I still have it if you are interested.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks Mark - I’m going to leave it for now except the intake hose was split and opened up by the knife edge of the intake horn so I ordered a set of hoses, MP and wagon wheels - my number is+12137092120 as I would still like to purchase a back up can for install at a future date

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:13 am

Clamp it to a immovable surface such as a work bench, sandwich fashion between two pieces of wood. Insert something that is the about the same size as the inside of the horn. A long socket will work, and pull in the opposite direction it was pushed in.
Captain

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:29 am

georgeaustin wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 pm
Thanks Mark - I’m going to leave it for now except the intake hose was split and opened up by the knife edge of the intake horn so I ordered a set of hoses, MP and wagon wheels - my number is+12137092120 as I would still like to purchase a back up can for install at a future date
Hi George, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I ransacked my parts boxes and couldn't find the spare body-side DA can I clearly recall I had. Found a single-stage can but that is earmarked for a project and it wouldn't do your PRAM any good anyway. I'll keep a look out. Good luck. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”