Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Dad's Voit 40 Fathom

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:03 am

Dad's Voit 40 Fathom... Restored
- This is the actual regulator my Dad taught himself to scuba dive with. I think it is a 1960 or '61 model. I've been fooling around with it for 3-5 years because there weren't any replacement diaphragms. This diaphragm exhausts thru the middle with a little mushroom valve. I gave a half hearted effort at making a new diaphragm a few years ago but didn't finish. Then a few weeks ago, Herman put a New Old Stock original Calypso diaphragm up for sale on Ebay. These were essentially the same regulators with different company's labels. So I ordered Herman's diaphragm.
- I still needed a mushroom valve for the exhaust port in the center. I ordered the 23mm mushroom from VDH and it was almost perfect. I had to drill out the center hole just a little to get the center to pull all the way thru. But once done, it fit perfectly.
- I took a few tries to figure out how to align and adjust the lever. The LP seat leaked but I was able to just flip it over for a nice new surface. And now, it actually works! It breathes easy, doesn't feel weird or unstable or anything. A very nice regulator, so far.
- Oh but that nasty old Voit First Stage... You don't see it in this picture and that's on purpose. This regulator also happens to be the one that I had my first scuba experiences with when Dad let me dive around the dock. The old first stage was about 6 inches long and 1 inch in diameter and it stuck out from the tank valve to hit me right in the back of the head... Over and over. So after about 55 years I got my revenge on that thing and replaced it with a nice short Conshelf 1st stage.
- The original plan was to use it as my Safe 2nd... So I'd be carrying a remembrance of my Dad. But, I use my Argonaut with Argonaut 2nd when I dive modern style. So, I might just set this Voit 40 Fathom up as a primary regulator and take it diving once in awhile... Like my DHs. :D

Here's my original re-build thread: http://vintagedoublehose.com/forum/view ... =40+fathom
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Dad's Voit 40 Fathom

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:44 am

Very cool Eben! That is something to treasure.

One of the few pieces of dive gear belonging to my late father I don't have is his first regulator. The only thing I remember about the reg was that it was double hose and I could swear it had orange-ish colored hoses. I don't know of any orange hose regs but It's just what I remember as a kid. No clue what it was. Don't recall manufacturer, single/double stage, etc... He sold the reg in the mid to late 60's and I believe replaced it with a Warner Mistral. Anyway, enough reminiscing. Congrats on your rebuild. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Hey Eben, Sounds like your reg originally came with the second version of the USD Aquamatic first stage. They just slipped an additional segment with a high pressure port in between the yoke and main body of the original short version. I prefer the short one and skip the gauge anyway. That first stage will give you some warning with increased breathing resistance as tank gets low due to tiny air orifice.
Aquamatic first stage mod.JPG
I am assuming that your Dad's original first stage looked like the one on the left in photo below. You should be able to remove the HP adapter segment and end up with the original USD Aquamatic version. Short enough to clear my head ok, and I prefer it. You might like his reg better that way, and could better experience the performance shortcomings of the original. :lol:

BTW I have new hp seats for those if needed. They are a little tricky to get to seal even with a new one. I have also had some luck refinishing them on a small lathe with tool set to the correct angle for the cone shaped seat material.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The older I get the better I was.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:09 pm

- Sure enough, I dug the original first stage out and it is exactly like the long one on the left. I'm thinking if I can shorten it, I'll maybe try to use it. It doesn't actually look as long as I remember it... It SEEMED like it was designed to inflict pain bumping into the back of heads. Now, I'm wondering if it was all from being about 6 years old with a full sized 72 tank shifting all over my back on an ill-fitting back pack. :roll:
SurfLung

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:50 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:09 pm
- Sure enough, I dug the original first stage out and it is exactly like the long one on the left. I'm thinking if I can shorten it, I'll maybe try to use it. It doesn't actually look as long as I remember it... It SEEMED like it was designed to inflict pain bumping into the back of heads. Now, I'm wondering if it was all from being about 6 years old with a full sized 72 tank shifting all over my back on an ill-fitting back pack. :roll:
That could explain the headaches.
If you are thinking of removing the HP port section let me know and I'll pull an extra one apart here first to be sure the other sections do fit right together as I remember.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:20 am

- Curiosity got the best of me And I took that big long first stage over to the shop where I have soft jaw vises and better tools. I got the nozzle unscrewed so I could look into the end and it doesn't look like a simple extension. The cone shaped soft seat is sticking up from the other side and the bright brass hard seat is right there to intercept it.
- I unscrewed the high pressure port so I could look inside and it goes into solid metal right down to where you can see the hole going from the seat to the yoke port.
- I'm thinking there must have just been two styles of complete nozzles... One short and one long?
- Anyway, I put it all back together and attached it to the first stage. Tried it on a scuba tanks and it works great. :)
SurfLung

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:19 pm

It seems my memory failed me on how that middle section added in. Thanks for the update.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”