Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

DIY Snark IP Gauge

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:18 am

Do-It-Yourself Snark IP Gauge
- I now have 3 Snark III regulators of my own plus Sheriffdiver has one and so does Rich. I have found that Herman's IP gauge for the DA Aqua-Master is essential for reliable service... Detecting leaks and setting the right operating pressure. And these Snark III regs are every bit as high quality and worth servicing as DAAMs. So, I decided to see if I could make an IP gauge for the Snark IIIs.
- Access to Intermediate Pressure is gained through the Over Pressure Valve (OPV)... But that's a safety so I decided a bleeder valve would be needed to release pressure. I've read where a downstream 2nd stage single house mouthpiece can be used as a safety but, I wanted something cleaner than that.
- On EBay, I found an M10x1.0 to 1/8 NPT adaptor. Connected this to 3 inches of threaded 1/8 NPT pipe. Connected a 1/8 NPT to 1/4 NPT adaptor to that. Then I just installed a 1/4 NPT threaded gauge and T-fitting onto that (from August Industries). And finished with a 1/4 NPT bleeder valve. I got it to seal well enough to test that it works. But I need a flat nylon washer to go in the bottom of the OPV port for a reliable seal.
- VDH has an awful lot of what you need to service these regs. The high pressure diaphragm and washers for a DAAM will fit the Snark III. The silicone second stage diaphragm for a mistral will also fit the Snark III. All of the hoses, mouth piece and mouthpiece valves can be replaced with DAAM parts, too. And these add considerable ease to the already good breathing characteristics. And all of the instructions, diagrams, service, repair, and trouble shooting documentation is available on the VDH site, too.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Re: DIY Snark IP Gauge

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:58 pm

Here's mine for the Nemrod regs. I made the M10 x 3/8 unf adapter from a hydraulic brake adapter.

ImageIMG_2867 by Vancetp, on Flickr

It has pressure relief and a bleeder. I like the BCD hose setup.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:58 am

Very nice Vance. I like your's better than mine. I've seen those IP gauges that use the inflator hose but it didn't occur to me to try it here. Is that an overpressure release or a bleeder and did it come with the gauge?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:59 pm

Yes, it has both an oprv and a bleeder integrated into the gauge. The bump is the orpv and the knurled ring is the bleeder. Nice and neat.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”