Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver
First Name: Doug

Healthways internal Yoke on Scuba Deluxe?

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 pm

In the 1962 Healthways catalog a new version of Scuba Deluxe appeared with two new features: a Venturi Mechanism and an Internal Yoke that eliminated the butterfly screw type model.

I've only ever seen the Scuba Gold Model with the internal yoke - Has anyone seen a Scuba Deluxe with the internal yoke? The Gold label additionally had a cover plate to the inhalation valve body, which is more than just a label change.

I haven't seen a thread on this - but my apologies if I missed it.

Does anyone have the rest of the story about this?

Doug

Scuba deluxe 62.jpg[/attachment]
Scuba deluxe 62.jpg
Internal Yoke on Healthwasys Gold Label.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Re: Healthways internal Yoke on Scuba Deluxe?

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:45 pm

I believe the 1962 Deluxe was the GL with a Deluxe label. I don't think it was ever shipped with the Deluxe label. I believe that it was decided to change the label to the gold one before selling any. I've never seen one nor have any of the Healthways enthusiasts I know. Everything in the catalog description and the picture describes the GL.

Here's a picture of the GL valve:
ImageDSCF2860 by Vancetp, on Flickr

And one of the Scuba/Deluxe type valve:

ImageDSCF1983 by Vancetp, on Flickr

The GL valve has a small hole in the top to allow the actuating pin to fit through.

The catalog does not mention the redesigned mouthpiece with a baffle and the new style long non-return carriers with the slots, though.

Here is my faux 1962. It is GL guts in a Deluxe can set. It is not accurate, as the cans were redesigned for the '62 and appear to be the GL cans.
ImageDSCF3033 by Vancetp, on Flickr

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Thanks for your insight. BTW you put together a handsome faux 62.

Doug

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:15 pm

OK, here's another one - Has anyone ever seen a SCUBAMASTER?

Frank noted a few years ago:

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:53 pm
According to WWW, Sherwood obtained the patent in 1958. Healthways was the first to offer a Piston Regulator in 1961: the Scuba Star was a sucess and one year later, all Healthways singlehose regs used a Piston. Healthways issued in 1965 with the Scubamaster a doublehose reg with Piston. Seems it failed with freezing and disappeared. Haven´t seen one within the years.

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:23 pm

65 HW cat cut.jpg
Here's the catalog cut
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:08 pm

There were in reality 3 models of the Healthways Scuba. The first was just labeled SCUBA. The photo above of the exhaust valve was the SCUBA valve. Didn't work well and was dropped. The Scuba Deluxe was the second with the lack of venturi, but the later exhaust valve. The Gold Label (Modern designation) had a venturi. A 4th model, which WAS to be a 2 stage regulator, with the first stage a piston, never made it to the market. Yes, it was advertised as can be seen in the catalog, but I know of no-one who actually saw one. You might want to ask the self-proclaimed Healthways genus on the other so-called vintage site for more info, if you want to waste your time.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Vancetp
Master Diver

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:10 am

TeamDoug2015 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:49 pm
Thanks for your insight. BTW you put together a handsome faux 62.

Doug
The Deluxe is a great thick thing, unlike its older and younger sibs. The Scuba has both horns on the top can and a simple cover over the diaphragm, allowing for a very thin reg. The GL had one horn per half, but is more streamlined than the Deluxe, being nearly as svelte as the rev1 Scuba. A real improvement in the way the can halves mate was incorporated in the GL, as well as the other noted upgrades.

People disparage the original Scuba, but it was a good breathing regulator and performs adequately even with the original 1" mouthpiece. Admittedly, the small diameter hoses, mouthpiece, and nonreturn valves choke down the potential performance, With a larger diameter hose loop or a Hope Page mouthpiece on the 1" hoses, it is better than adequate. I add a duckbill to the exhaust horn to stop any water intrusion in the exhaust hose in certain positions, and it does cause negligible back pressure on the exhale. The real problem with the Scuba is the exhaust diaphragm, but lacking a good OEM diaphragm, one can be retrofitted quite successfully with sheet rubber and RTV.

I have had at least a dozen of these (and still have several that I dive) and have played around with them extensively. I have made mods that bring it close to the performance of a Mistral (repositioning the HP valve, adding an air director, and using a Hope Page mouthpiece). It is also possible to make a balanced Healthways HP valve using some Conshelf valve parts, but that goes a bit beyond the pale.

Liking the Scuba is not a popular position to take on this site. But, my experience with them is probably greater than that of the disparagers. The Healthways line of regulators, including the DivAir, are good performing regulators, and are certainly worthy of being included in anyone's collection. I have two Deluxes, 3 GLs, and two DivAirs (one alloy, one fiberglass) in addition to the 5 Scubas I mentioned above, all in excellent, dive-ready condition.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:22 am

simonbeans wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:08 pm
There were in reality 3 models of the Healthways Scuba. The first was just labeled SCUBA. The photo above of the exhaust valve was the SCUBA valve. Didn't work well and was dropped. The Scuba Deluxe was the second with the lack of venturi, but the later exhaust valve. The Gold Label (Modern designation) had a venturi. A 4th model, which WAS to be a 2 stage regulator, with the first stage a piston, never made it to the market. Yes, it was advertised as can be seen in the catalog, but I know of no-one who actually saw one. You might want to ask the self-proclaimed Healthways genus on the other so-called vintage site for more info, if you want to waste your time.
???? Is being interested in the Scuba or the Healthways line of regulators a waste of time?

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:43 am

Not at all, the DivAir/Healthways regs were very important aspects of early scuba history. I also have all but the "golden grail" cast brass DivAir and enjoy diving them. I just know of one "expert" on Healthways who blabbers along with empty noise.
I would really love to know the story behind the 4th Healthways model, the piston first staged double hose. What happened? Why did it not make it to the marketplace? Was it too late in the diving scene (double hose becoming an endangered species?)?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:16 am

simonbeans wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:43 am
I would really love to know the story behind the 4th Healthways model, the piston first staged double hose. What happened?
Would be interested in accurate information and any pictures of it internally if any are around.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:06 pm

These images are from the 1965 Healthways Catalog. Interesting is that this model was to be called the ScubaMASTER. A competitor attempt at the USD Aqua-MASTER? CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO FULL SIZE

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”