Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

What about a fund raiser for this event?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Recent announcement for Sea Hunt enthusiasts :
https://www.divenewswire.com/naui-invit ... W_04_10_18

I would think it would be a great idea if we make up a fund raiser of sorts so that Bryan and I could attend this Sea Hunt Dinner. Seeing as how we have put on 4 Sea Hunt Forever, etc. programs at Silver Springs, who would be better qualified for the task.

What Say? :roll:
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: What about a fund raiser for this event?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Never ceases to amaze me how blind a small community like this can be... :roll:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:39 pm

I had planned on attending that dinner. I can put the two of you up for the nights of the 22nd and 23rd of June (and a night before and/or after if necessary). Might cost you a six pack of beer. You would have to stay in Laguna Beach and we could drive together to dinner and the Scuba Show. The dinner is about an hour away from me, the Scuba Show about 45 minutes. Let me know as far in advance as possible what your plans are. Mark. :D

P.S. Nelson's is just a small cafe with a few pics of Mike on the wall. The food is ok.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

jrltenn
Master Diver
First Name: Joshua

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:35 am

I would gladly donate at least enough to cover the requisite 6 pack.
Seriously though, start a “go fund me”. Maybe we can get enough people to chip in to make it feasible.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:12 pm

I will pledge $100. Just say where and when to send it.

You might be interested to know a NAUI representative contacted me 2-4 years ago asking for permission to use some of my Vintage Diving youtube videos on their website, Facebook, or advertising... I forget which. I said "Sure, you're welcome to them". Then she asked me to sign over all of my rights to my own videos... or something like that. It was a weird request. I don't remember it real clearly anymore but it was something I did not want to do. And I couldn't understand why they wanted me to do it. So, it never happened.

BTW - The link said the restaurant is at 100 Terranea Way, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275 https://www.terranea.com/palos-verdes-dining. It looks a lot nicer and bigger than Mark's description of Nelson's Café. "About Us" doesn't say anything about Mike Nelson... Maybe they're under new management and remodeled/expanded a bit? Or maybe NAUI got mixed up and its the wrong restaurant? :oops:
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Sounds like a great event but it's not for me. Attending would mean a lot more to guys like Eben, Jerry, Mark and others than it would to me.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

jrltenn
Master Diver
First Name: Joshua

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:20 pm

If one of the nominees has a personal PayPal account there is a shareable link called “PayPal/me” that can be used in lue of go fund me for friends to send an amount of their choosing. There are no associated fees for either party unless a CC is used which incurs a processing fee. The link is generic and can be posted into this thread for people to click and donate.
I’m in if we can get this rolling.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:54 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:12 pm
The link said the restaurant is at 100 Terranea Way, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275 https://www.terranea.com/palos-verdes-dining. It looks a lot nicer and bigger than Mark's description of Nelson's Café.
Didn't mean to infer Nelson's was bad in any way, it is small on the inside, has a nice deck, and is more California cafe style than a formal sit down dinner restaurant. It would be the perfect venue for such an event. My wife went there with a girlfriend and said there was photos of Mr. Nelson on one wall as you walked in. That was a year or more ago, may have changed. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:45 pm

I hope you guys didn't think I was for real on the "fund-me" idea? :roll: No offense to west coasters, but I just returned from the west coast of FL last week and even that traffic drove me crazy. I live in the country, 900 feet from the road and 5 miles from the nearest liquor store.

But this Sea Hunt thing can not, in anyway, match the Sea Hunt shows of Silver Springs. However, Scuba Lawyer can take some of our photos and let them see a real tribute to Mr. Bridges, Z. Perry, R. Browning, et.al., that was performed at the Sea Hunt Celebration, Sea Hunt 50, and Sea Hunt Forever.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:20 pm

simonbeans wrote:
I hope you guys didn't think I was for real on the "fund-me" idea? :roll:
And to think I was going to contribute by putting you and Bryan up in a beachfront apartment with a fully stocked liquor cabinet and humidor. Oh well.....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:49 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
simonbeans wrote:
I hope you guys didn't think I was for real on the "fund-me" idea? :roll:
And to think I was going to contribute by putting you and Bryan up in a beachfront apartment with a fully stocked liquor cabinet and humidor. Oh well.....
That part of the trip was appealing for sure!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:37 am

I am loading my truck. Hate to see that space wasted, and I haven't been to an IQ since the 70's. Your cigars are safe, but your beverages are endangered.
The older I get the better I was.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:20 am

OUR Sea Hunt Night Includes Diving!
- The NAUI affair is probably 2-3 hours of sitting and listening to speakers.
- On the evening of April 24th, Sea Hunt Jerry is hosting the annual "Sea Hunt Night" at the AquaVenture Dive Shop. We'll be diving and demonstrating Vintage Double Hose equipment to interested newcomers as well as our local dive buddies... Anyone who wants to try out this gear is welcome. Afterwards, we'll have some excellent Pizza and watch Sea Hunt episodes... With humorous and well informed commentary from the one who has every episode memorized... (You Know Who... Sea Hunt Jerry). "Watch how many times Mike swims by that mark on the wall of the tunnel."

Cost is only $10. For details and sign up click https://aquaventurescuba.com/event/sea-hunt-night-2/
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”