Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

HW Gold rebuild

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Finished my first SCUBA Gold Label rebuild. Thanks loads to our own BT from Texas. He had an extra K-Restrictor he sent me. He also procurred a Hope Page for me. The latter I'm sure involved secret signals made by flower pots being moved on balconies and clandestine late night meetings in empty subterranean parking garages  (sorry, just finished reading All the President's Men again - great book, read it if you get a chance). Thanks again Bill! Not to be left out, label from Allan. :D

Mark

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: HW Gold rebuild

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Looks great Mark.
They are great breathing reg but I found that the setup is really critical. It will work fine on either side of the very small sweet spot in adjustment but if you get it dead on the spot it goes from good to great breathing.
Herman

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Herman wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Looks great Mark.
They are great breathing reg but I found that the setup is really critical. It will work fine on either side of the very small sweet spot in adjustment but if you get it dead on the spot it goes from good to great breathing.
Thanks Herman. I was very surprised how well it breathed at 2250 psi, with no freeflow at 300 psi. Afraid to adjust it further. :shock:
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:37 pm

A+ for the reflection of your phone in the picture :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Bryan wrote:
I did that just for you Bryan. 8) Actually, I had a guy walk up to me in Courtroom hallway the other day when I had my phone to my ear. When I was done he asked me if I had a Kraken, and, if so, how I liked it. I told him I likeee veeery mucho. You are getting brand recognition! Mark

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:51 pm

PSX_20180310_164943.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:12 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:44 pm
Bryan wrote:
I did that just for you Bryan. 8) Actually, I had a guy walk up to me in Courtroom hallway the other day when I had my phone to my ear. When I was done he asked me if I had a Kraken, and, if so, how I liked it. I told him I likeee veeery mucho. You are getting brand recognition! Mark
Golf Clap.....Well Played!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Did you have the cans replated? They look terrific! Makes me wish I could have come up with a better looking mouthpiece. :oops:

You are close to correct on my acquisition of the Hope Page. It involved negotiations and bribery in a dark bar in a dangerous part of Fort Worth. Then the most treacherous part was enduring the maze of dangerous old regulators and booby-trapped stacks of steel 72's in the dark dungeon at Scuba Diving School of Fort Worth. :shock: Francie stood guard with my vintage speagun while I risked my life. You should have been there!
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Bill, you're my 007 field agent!

Cans were trashed so I had them re-chromed.

Thanks again for your help. The HW is one of the regs I'll be exhibiting at DivCon in Central California next Saturday. Mark

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”