Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Blue or Yellow (DA Labels)

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:08 pm

I don't know if it is part of the process, but I have two DA's, which by serial number are 1960 and newer (both are Pico). Both had blue labels, but one is 50/50 blue/yellow (chrome cans), and, regrettably, my ultrasonic took the whole blue layer off the 1960 I recently refurbished (satin cans), revealing a yellow label beneath. Was it part of the change in manufacture and over-coated (so were they originally yellow labels), or is it the process where they put blue over the yellow? Just curious if anyone knows.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Blue or Yellow (DA Labels)

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:38 pm

I've seen the same thing on several West Pico DAAM's. I'd be interested to know as well.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: Blue or Yellow (DA Labels)

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:44 am

rhwestfall wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:08 pm
I don't know if it is part of the process, but I have two DA's, which by serial number are 1960 and newer (both are Pico). Both had blue labels, but one is 50/50 blue/yellow (chrome cans), and, regrettably, my ultrasonic took the whole blue layer off the 1960 I recently refurbished (satin cans), revealing a yellow label beneath. Was it part of the change in manufacture and over-coated (so were they originally yellow labels), or is it the process where they put blue over the yellow? Just curious if anyone knows.
I have seen this as well on several labels from the late 50s to early 60s, but I believe what we are seeing is a base yellow coating of some kind to help the blue coat anneal to the label. That's my guess.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”