Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Scubapro Visionaire

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:00 am

Stopped in at a friend's dive shop today. It's 20+ miles from me so I only get to stop in when I'm in the area. He showed me a ScubaPro Visionaire mask someone gave him. I had never seen one before but I now see that Alec Pierce did one of his video blogs on one. Anyway, pretty neat. Fits over entire face. Second stage is built into top of mask. LP hose connects to top of mask. Inhale through nose and the vacuum pulls the whole glass faceplate inward, triggers the second stage lever inside the mask and delivers a blast of air. Exhale through mouth and air exhausts to the sides. Here are a few pics I took. Mark.
sva1.jpg
sva2.jpg
sva3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Re: Scubapro Visionaire

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 am

Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of the existence of this mask.

According to a 1970s Scubapro catalogue, the Visionaire was based on US patent 3009462, "Breathing and viewing apparatus". Patent text at https://patents.google.com/patent/US3009462 and patent drawings below:

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:56 am

Here's another pic of the front of the mask.
sva4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:45 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:
sva4.jpg
What are those "lumps" for on either side of the lens in the picture of the front of the mask? Are they simply there to stop the lens from detaching from the skirt?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Britmarine wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:45 am
ScubaLawyer wrote:
sva4.jpg
What are those "lumps" for on either side of the lens in the picture of the front of the mask? Are they simply there to stop the lens from detaching from the skirt?
My assumption (guess, idea, thought) is that since the entire face plate is attached to a rubber bellows contraption and designed to move inward and outward with each breath (to trigger the 2nd stage lever), those rubber bumps are just stops to keep the face plate from extending out too far. Others opinions may differ. Mark.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:34 pm

Here is the link to Alec's video on the Visionaire.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:01 pm

One of the guys that SeaHunt Jerry used to dive a lot with has one of these in like-new condition. I have seen him diving it a couple of times at our winter Sea Hunt Night at Aquaventure Dive Shop pool. I spoke to him about it in January at our Christmas party and he said he bought it from an Iowa farmer who was using it like a full face fireman's mask to breathe in dusty, silo-type conditions.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”