Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
deaddog
First Name: William

Depth Gauge Oil

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:55 pm

What kind of oil is used in depth gauges, like US Divers and SOS depth gauges from the 50's and 60's?

crimediver
Master Diver

Re: Depth Gauge Oil

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 pm

I could be wrong but I am thinking I once used glycerin once to refill one of mine back in the day. I got it at a drug store.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 pm

In all seriousness, when I was around age 16 or so and about as bright as I am today, I tried refilling a depth gauge with 10W-30. Don't do that, just saying. :roll:
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

couv
Master Diver

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:31 pm

Edit: I've not refilled a vintage gauge-the instructions below worked for more modern gauges.

I don't know what is "supposed" to be used, but I've used mineral oil before and it seems to work fine. Drain as much of the old oil out as you possibly can so there won't be a density compatibility issue. Get enough oil so you can fill a container large enough to submerge the gauge/compass and fill while submerged to prevent any bubbles.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:03 am

First make sure the gauge is supposed to have oil in it. The USD Calypso gauges are not supposed to have oil in them. I know because I filled one with oil and ruined it. I've learned a lot about the Calypso gauges in the process of ruining several trying to get one that works right. :oops:
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 am

SurfLung wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:03 am
First make sure the gauge is supposed to have oil in it. The USD Calypso gauges are not supposed to have oil in them. I know because I filled one with oil and ruined it. I've learned a lot about the Calypso gauges in the process of ruining several trying to get one that works right. :oops:
Don't feel too bad... they had a pretty high failure rate within their first year or two anyway. :(
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”