Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
stefeyme
Lung Diver
First Name: Stephane

Help needed on Royal Mistral!!

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:14 am

Hey everyone,

I've just acquired a Royal Mistral to complete my collection (and I'm very happy about that!!!) I opened it yesterday night and found this:
IMG_4132.jpg
IMG_4130.jpg
IMG_4129.jpg

Anybody has an idea of what it is?

There is no venturi nozzle nor thread on the body to fix one, and It seems this part has been cut off from the can so my guess is this missing part was somehow replacing the nozzle to create the venturi effect, does that make sense?

Could anyone send through a picture of the original part so I can try to have it manufactured here in Valencia?

Many thanks for your help!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Help needed on Royal Mistral!!

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:19 am

It looks like the deflector of a USD Royal Mistral, the balanced attempt for a single stage regulator. Maybe the internals of the body are actually from a USD Royal Mistral. Interesting that La Spiro might have tried balancing its single stage also.

The USD Royal Mistral did not have a venturi nozzle either. Apparently the venturi was strong enough without the nozzle even to the point that a deflector was needed.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

stefeyme
Lung Diver
First Name: Stephane

Re: Help needed on Royal Mistral!!

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi Simon, many thanks for the pics, now I now what it looks like and will be able to reproduce it. It is actually a US Divers Royal Mistral (not a Spiro).
I'll check how it works without the deflector first and then will adapt a custom one (already have the brass folio to do it) to bring it back to genuine.
Many thanks again!
Cheers!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”