Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Flakotter
Lung Diver
First Name: Traner

No name mask ID

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Alright, I think I have worked out my problem with posting photos.

I was wondering if anybody could ID this mask. It has a plastic lens and no makers mark. It does say “Made in the USA” on the inside of the skirt but that’s it. Its dark blue/gray in color and the frame around the lenses has a “pebbled“ texture.
mask 4.jpg
mask 3.jpg
mask 2.jpg
Anybody have a guess?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Re: No name mask ID

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 am

Would it be possible to have close-ups of the distinguishing features you mention, namely the "Made in the USA" message and the "pebbled" texture of the frame? It might help with the mask ID process.

Britmarine

Flakotter
Lung Diver

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Here is the "pebbled" texture photo. I will get a photo of the “Made in America" photo tonight.
Mask Pebble.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Britmarine
VDH Moderator

Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:27 am

Thank you. It is certainly a distinctive mask, despite its commercial anonymity, not least because of its circular (rather than oval) shape. My first thought was that it might be a Sea Net mask from the early 1950s, although the examples I've seen have the name of the company embossed on them. Thinking still along the same lines, I was wondering whether it might be a rebranded Sea Net mask such as the model retailed by Bel Aqua in the mid-1950s. These are just tentative ideas so far.

I wonder whether you would mind also posting a close-up of the buckle attachment? This might confirm or otherwise whether the physical evidence matches my initial speculations... :)

Britmarine

Flakotter
Lung Diver

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:32 pm

Britmarine,

Thanks for the help!
Here are the photos of the "Made in USA" and the buckle attachment.
The "Made in USA" photo was taken through the lens looking in to the mask.
Let me know if you need another angle of the buckle attachment or any other photos.
IMG_6304.jpg
IMG_6306.jpg
IMG_6307.jpg

Flakotter
Lung Diver

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:32 pm

IMG_6305.jpg

Britmarine
VDH Moderator

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:58 am

Thanks, Flakotter. It's the strap attachment that caught my eye in particular and made me think this might be a Sea Net clone. There's a thread at http://vintagescuba.proboards.com/thread/4634/fin on the Vintage Scuba Diving Forum where a similar mask was one of the points of discussion:
Have a look at the discussion thread and see whether the masks in the images resemble your own mask sufficiently. I note that your mask lacks a strap, which may have helped if it was embossed with a manufacturer's name and would have also presumably revealed whether the strap had one buckle for adjustment positioned at the back of the head rather than being anchored more conventionally to buckles on either side of the mask.

Hope this helps. This isn't a definitive identification of the mask, just a bit of speculation so far. Masks with just a country of origin can be very difficult to trace back to a particular manufacturer. Let us know whether you think your mask looks in any way like the ones pictured in the duscussion thread I mentioned and from which the images above derive.

Britmarine

Flakotter
Lung Diver

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Britmarine,
This is great; I think you might be right about it being something along the lines of a Sea Net clone. Thanks for the links also, I did a google search and could not find any photos of Sea Net or Bel Aqua products so the link really helped out. I did some further digging in the box that the mask came in and found what was left of the strap, there was no embossing but there is a center solo buckle. That would seem to add more weight to the clone theory. Thanks again for all your help with this, I do appreciate it.
IMG_6313.jpg
IMG_6312.jpg

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”