Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Questions on Voit VR-2 rebuild

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:51 am

Here I go showing my ignorance again. I've taken on restoration of a VR-2. Decided to do an original restoration down to the c-clips. No HPR (not that it would fit anyway).

So, exactly how do I go about replacing the 2nd stage seat? Just dig it out with a sharp tool and pop a new one in? Can't be that simple. And is the seat available in the VDH store? Looked, but not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

Also, no one seems to have new 2-stage main diaphrams (with the tabs). Any reason i can't just glue a plate from an old one onto a new silicone single stage main diaphram?

Thanks,

Mark
v.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Re: Questions on Voit VR-2 rebuild

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 am

Mark,

The LP seats used in the DAAM and RAM work perfectly. If you look closely at the original, you can see that the seat is crimped in place. After digging the seat out, you will be able to see the roll crimp. No need to remove the crimp, as the new seat will fit flush. I use a drop of superglue.

I have no experience in switching out the diaphragm plates. Others have done so, but I don’t know what adhesive they used.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 am

Thank you Greg! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Apparently a glue that works on silicone is tougher to get than it seems. However, you could pop rivet the plate on the diaphragm as many did over the years. Rob's Healthways diaphragms are made this way and they work fine. Get the rivets that are closed, not the ones that have the hole all the way through. Duh.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:20 pm

simonbeans wrote:
Apparently a glue that works on silicone is tougher to get than it seems. However, you could pop rivet the plate on the diaphragm as many did over the years. Rob's Healthways diaphragms are made this way and they work fine. Get the rivets that are closed, not the ones that have the hole all the way through. Duh.
Allan, nothing quite so disconcerting and worrisome than finding a hole in a diaphragm. :shock: 8)

(But thanks for the good advice. I'll look into it.) - Mark

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:17 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:20 pm
simonbeans wrote:
Allan, nothing quite so disconcerting and worrisome than finding a hole in a diaphragm. :shock: 8)

(But thanks for the good advice. I'll look into it.) - Mark
Just think about one made of leather with the plate riveted on.
Captain

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Next issue. Got the 2nd stage seat out just fine per Greg's directions. All good.

When I went to look at the 2nd stage nozzle some one had buggered it all up. (See pic). There is no grip for a socket wrench. The sides and edges are all worn smooth. Tried to clean it up but you can see tool marks all over it now. Looks like someone tried to remove it with an improper tool.

Anyway:

1. How the F do I get it out?

2. Once I do get it out, anyone have a NOS replacement I can buy from you?

Thanks, Mark
Q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:48 pm

You will need a 5/32 drill bit, #1 broken bolt extractor, a propane torch and either WD 40 or Aero Kroil.
Drill the nozzle hole with the 5/32 drill bit. Heat the part, don't be afraid of doing damage, a propane torch can not get it hot enough. Heat it for a several minutes then spray with the WD 40 or Kroil. The worst that can happen is the WD 40 or Kroil ignites, which is good because you will know you got it hot enough, just smother the flame with a wet rag. Do this several times then try to remove it with the extractor. Be sure the extractor doesn't hit bottom in the body before it grips the nozzle. If it does you will need to grind the extractor slightly shorter.
This method has never failed me in freeing frozen regulator and valve parts while doing no damage.
I have a NOS nozzle I can give you.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#2563a11/=1b45nn5

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic ... /203665003

https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Aerokroil-P ... B000F09CEA
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:48 pm

It would be hard to beat Captain's advice on removing the orifice. If for some crazy reason you can't get it out, I think I have an extra Navy type body around here somewhere. Special price for attorneys this month only. 8)
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Thanks Captain, I'll give it a shot. Really appreciate your advice. Mark

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks Bill, i'll let you know how things go. Mark

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:38 am

Captain, quick question. Your note says to use a 5/32 drill bit. The #1 Extractor website you posted says to use a 5/64 bit. Thanks for clarifying. Mark

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:22 pm

The McMaster Carr page is wrong, I have a #1 and 5/32 drill is stamped on it, you can not get a #1 into a into a 5/64 hole.
Captain

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:56 pm

captain wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:22 pm
The McMaster Carr page is wrong, I have a #1 and 5/32 drill is stamped on it, you can not get a #1 into a into a 5/64 hole.
Makes sense. Thank you.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:04 pm

A work in progress.
workbench.jpg

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”