Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Questions on Voit VR-2 rebuild

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:52 am

Next hurdle. Major IP creep over 20 minutes. 80 to 145 at 2000psi; 120 to 150 at 300psi. HP volcano nozzle looks pristine under magnification. I did resurface the HP seat so maybe that is my problem. Tried cycling the seat 100 times and left it pressurized a few days to try and get it to take a set. Probably going to order a new HP seat and spring from Bryan and see if that helps. I do have a few NOS 1st stage bodies so I can replace that if need be. Argh! And this is supposed to be a fun and relaxing pastime. :shock:
ip-1024x692.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:17 pm

The first stage has a very small leak. In actual use you would never notice it. Might not be worth the time and effort to try and stop it.
Captain

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:45 am

captain wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:17 pm
The first stage has a very small leak. In actual use you would never notice it. Might not be worth the time and effort to try and stop it.
I agree and the same thought crossed my mind. However, while I am by no means a perfectionist, I am a get it as close as possible-ist. So I'm going to mess around with it for a while longer just to see if I can increase my current frustration level. :D Got my kid's science kit microscope out and found some issues with the HP seat. Ordered a new seat from Bryan. Victory will be mine! 8)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Just for fun on a slow day I tried something new on my VR2 to see if I could get it to breathe a little better.
BTW, I did not modify the original levers. Used an extra so I still have all the original pieces.

Voit VR2 006.jpg
Voit VR2 004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:18 pm

You're a wild man Bill! I like it!

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:27 pm

It helped the cracking effort a little, but no help with sustaining air flow. Just needs some venturi action for that.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:14 pm

UPDATE: Ok, we are getting close. Got rid of my 60+ psi I.P. creep by swapping out the 1st stage body for another one I had laying around in my parts bin. Although the volcano orifice looked pristine in the original, and I cleaned it real well, it still would creep even with a new seat and spring. Oh well, works great now. I.P. now instantly locks up at 132 psi in a 300 psi tank and 115 on a 2250 psi tank. Adjusted the horseshoe per Captain's advice. Breathes pretty good for a non-venturi reg although I can tell the difference from a DAAM. The only breathing assist is the one created by constant lung sucking. :D I'll post pics of the finished product tomorrow once I put the c-clips on and give it a final test.
1st & 2nd-768x834.jpg

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Your comment about "constant lung sucking" reminded me of something I read many years ago in the sales/instructional/maintenance pamphlet, "Diving With the Aqua-Lung", (maybe by Cousteau and Gagnan) published by USD from 1955 through at least 1957. I had to look it up in my 1957 copy. In the Maintenance and Servicing section for the "DA" (same as your SR2) it addresses trouble shooting under the heading of "complaint".
The complaint of a reg breathing too hard had this notation: "This complaint has to be discounted when it comes from a beginner whose suction muscles are not yet trained." There were no specific exercises recommended.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:52 pm

antique diver wrote:
The complaint of a reg breathing too hard had this notation: "This complaint has to be discounted when it comes from a beginner whose suction muscles are not yet trained." There were no specific exercises recommended.
In other words a bunch of execs for USD were sitting around a table and one said something like, "Since our product breathes like crap, if someone complains we'll just tell them it's them, not us." The old blame the consumer trick. :D

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:52 pm
antique diver wrote:
In other words a bunch of execs for USD were sitting around a table and one said something like, "Since our product breathes like crap, if someone complains we'll just tell them it's them, not us." The old blame the consumer trick. :D
Basically, yeah. But remember that most all the regs in the early to mid 50' were far inferior in performance to what was available until the DAAM and others with venturi assist became available. (see current posting on venturi development by Stefane)

Divers really didn't know the difference, not having anything to compare to. Yes, it was a lot harder to inhale from them underwater than normal breathing on land, but if you wanted to go underwater that's just the way it was and it was the price you paid for being able to breathe underwater. You developed your suction muscles. It was worth it!

I clearly recall the extra effort of breathing underwater in the late 50's, but I guess that I just accepted that as the way it was. I didn't know there was anything that could be done to improve it. My first diving experiences were with a just barely adequate hookah rig, from which I could only slowly sip air, so my first regulator (Voit 2 stage like yours) seemed to breathe like a charm by comparison. I didn't have access to anything better for quite some time.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:44 pm

I understand and agree with you Bill. Exactly where are one's "suction muscles" anyway? Probably need to ask the guy who knows where a chicken's nuggets are located. :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:44 pm

Just set the IP, tune the 2nd stage, stick hoses on with green tinnermans, repaint the label and Bob's your uncle. A sincere thank you to everyone who helped me on this project!
VR-2 d.jpg
VR-2 b.jpg
VR-2 c.jpg

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:40 am

The suction muscle is the diaphragm. There is truth in what the USD executive said.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/imagepages/19380.htm
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:32 pm

captain wrote:
The suction muscle is the diaphragm. There is truth in what the USD executive said.

It's true... it just sounds funny :lol:

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:26 pm

captain wrote:

Whereas before I was ignorant, I am now informed. :D Makes sense. Here is another pic taken in daylight so it is a little clearer.
VR-2 e-738x428.jpg

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”