Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver
First Name: Doug

Has anyone seen this variation of a Trademark Green Label? Is it an early Hookah?

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 pm

To the amazement of my wife, every time I drive the family between Virginia Beach and Chicago, I manage to stop to meet with someone from the VDH community or I pick up an old tank or regulator along the way. Last week I visited Karl and his wonderful collection in Indianapolis.

While I was there, I mentioned to him that I had an old Trademark Green Label which had a threaded fitting in place of yoke and wondered if it was an early hookah reg. He asked me to post a few pictures, so if anyone has the story on these, I’d be interested to know.

The reg is in great shape and appeared to be in unused condition. The one-piece hose is flexible and shows no signs of cracking. The label bears no serial number. I got it from a guy in San Bernardino who said he just found it hanging on a wall in an antique shop.

I've looked at the ear;y catalog references, but none of the illustrations I've found show the hose connection for the hookahs.

I usually subscribe to Ron’s philosophy of diving all my regs, but I don’t have the heart to rebuild this one to dive in salt water after it survived all these years unscathed.

Happy new year 2018 - I wish you a good year of diving.

Doug
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kgehring
Master Diver

Re: Has anyone seen this variation of a Trademark Green Label? Is it an early Hookah?

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:31 am

I would guess early hookah. Regulator looks new.
Karl
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver

Re: Has anyone seen this variation of a Trademark Green Label? Is it an early Hookah?

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:31 am

Karl,

Thanks - have you seen hookahs un-serialized before?

Doug

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:41 pm

That inlet looks like a standard Hookah/Oxygen fitting. Could be an early or experimental attempt by AL to add an external low pressure input by just entirely eliminating the first stage to make an economical Hookah regulator out of existing bodies.

Of course some machinist could have made this for himself. Herman, were you playing with lathes as a little boy back in the 50's?
The older I get the better I was.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:13 pm

Nope....I'm not THAT old. :)
Herman

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:41 am

Thanks for the input - if someone has one, could they please post a picture of later hookah connection, but before the move to the hookah fitting on the standard DA AMs? in the '59 catalog, the DA AM clearly had a hookah port pictured and the Hookah was advertised as a DA.

Doug

ovalis
Master Diver

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Nothing unusual about that fitting. That was the way US Divers set up their regulators for use as a hookah prior to reconfiguring their bodies with the Aquamaster with the hookah port. Seen it many times. If you look in their older catalogs, they sold their regulators set up for hookah, but they don't show a picture of the back of the regulator with this fitting. I'm more intrigued by the lack of a serial # stamp. I haven't seen that one before. Nice clean regulator. There is something unusual though about your reg. It has a forged body instead of cast. The forged bodies came in midway through the blue label series.

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Never have seen a green label without a number. Got to love the hose. I have seen these on a handful full of blue labels but not very often. I have two in blue rubber and both are in really good shape. Based on my own experience what ever rubber they used held up better than any other USD hose.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”