Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
urmaddad
First Name: Gary

Vintage Underwater Sled Diving

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:51 am

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Vintage Underwater Sled Diving

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:34 am

Very cool! We did that a few times off our boat many years ago. We called it trolling for Great Whites and the diver on the sled was the bait. One of my old dive buddies still has a bump on his forehead where we towed him into a pier piling. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Vintage Underwater Sled Diving

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:12 pm

We were using sleds to look for wreck site indications, such as anchors and cannons, during our trips to Cartagena, Columbia. I would probably find it a bit too scary to do that in areas known for Great Whites after an incident we had.

One day with two sleds in use I was on one sled and saw a pretty big nurse shark come zooming up off the 15-20' bottom like a shot, headed straight for the other sled jockey about 20 feet from me. (we were both on snorkels at the surface) I had no idea they (or Hal) could move so fast. He saw it just in time to respond appropriately by letting go of the sled to face the menace just before they could have touched, and it darted away as fast as it had approached. The only response I could come up with was to fill my mask with tears of laughter. :lol: Good way to alienate friends.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”