Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
mrepi2000
Diver
First Name: LB

Can you identify this reg?

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:00 pm

My dad's cousin was a diver in the 50s and 60s. His gear was in a big pile in the barn and I loved to go out an look at it when we visited. I remember several double hose US Divers regs, wet suits, fins, masks, tanks, etc. Really cool stuff! There was one regulator I remember but don't recall the brand. It looked like a hybrid single/double hose. The first stage looked like a standard single hose first stage. There were two high pressure hoses that went to the mouthpiece on either side of the head. Then, there were two large double hose style hoses coming from the mouthpiece which encircled the high pressure hoses and ended about 2/3 of the way back to the first stage. The exhaust bubbles exited behind the diver's head from the open ends of the large hoses. Anyone remember who made this? The other oddity I remember was one of the tanks. He had a standard galvanized steel tank and a second tank that was coated in what looked like thick, yellow wax. It wasn't paint or epoxy or anything like that but a waxy substance. Very odd.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Can you identify this reg?

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:23 pm

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

mrepi2000
Diver

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:53 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:It's a Demone. See

http://www.hybdiving.com/images/history/demone.jpg

Mark
Yep, that's it! Thanks! I knew someone on here would recognize it! Any info on the company or anything else about it?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:59 pm

From Fred Roberts Basic Scuba as quoted by Wikipedia: "These unusual regulators were designed by Robert J. Dempster and made at his factory in Illinois, USA, from 1961 to 1965. The Demone Mark I and Demone Mark II are both two-stage regulators. The second-stage looks like the mouthpiece of a twin-hose regulator but has a small diaphragm on the front. The second-stage valve is inside the mouthpiece tube. The exhaled air goes into a corrugated coaxial exhaust hose which surrounds the intermediate-pressure hose and discharges about 60% of the way back to the first-stage to keep the bubbles away from the diver's face. Near the mouthpiece is a one-way valve to let outside water into the exhaust hose to avoid free flow if the diaphragm (at the mouth) is below the open end of the exhaust hose. The Mark I has hoses only on one side, and the Mark II has twinned intermediate-pressure hoses, each with its own coaxial exhaust hose and second stage, one assembly on each side of the diver's head, but with both second stages in the same mouthpiece housing and operated by the same diaphragm."
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

mrepi2000
Diver

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:46 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:From Fred Roberts Basic Scuba as quoted by Wikipedia: "These unusual regulators were designed by Robert J. Dempster and made at his factory in Illinois, USA, from 1961 to 1965. The Demone Mark I and Demone Mark II are both two-stage regulators. The second-stage looks like the mouthpiece of a twin-hose regulator but has a small diaphragm on the front. The second-stage valve is inside the mouthpiece tube. The exhaled air goes into a corrugated coaxial exhaust hose which surrounds the intermediate-pressure hose and discharges about 60% of the way back to the first-stage to keep the bubbles away from the diver's face. Near the mouthpiece is a one-way valve to let outside water into the exhaust hose to avoid free flow if the diaphragm (at the mouth) is below the open end of the exhaust hose. The Mark I has hoses only on one side, and the Mark II has twinned intermediate-pressure hoses, each with its own coaxial exhaust hose and second stage, one assembly on each side of the diver's head, but with both second stages in the same mouthpiece housing and operated by the same diaphragm."

Thanks for the info!

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:58 pm

Anyone ever dive one of those? I'm curious how they actually dive. I've kind of wanted one for years, but I'm afraid I'm going to shell out the cash for it and it's going to be junk.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

kgehring
Master Diver

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:07 pm

I have a Mk1 and MK2 and both free flow slightly. Not enough hours in a day to work on. I have a third that will have a new home overseas. I will see if it works before i ship it.
Rob posted that he has one, does it work?
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”