Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Nemrod Snark III

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:41 am

Based on the looks of the main diaphragm and exhaust mushroom, the reg needs all it's rubber internal parts replaced. You may get away with reusing the HP seat. Odds are the LP seat is toast so you will need a new on, These are hard to find but Rob use to have a few NOS ones http://www.thescubamuseum.com/Online%20 ... ort=normal

Also, the over pressure valve (OPV) on this reg is NOT AN OPTION and since it has rubber internal parts, odds are it needs servicing. The second stage in this reg is an upstream design so you must have an OPV installed, otherwise if (when) the HP valve leaks, it can cause major damage at the worst time if the OPV is not installed. Keep in mind that the Nemrod is metric in design, the OPV has metric threads and the common 3/8-24 OPV will not fit. It's close but does not fit.
Herman

mrepi2000
Diver
First Name: LB

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Herman wrote:Based on the looks of the main diaphragm and exhaust mushroom, the reg needs all it's rubber internal parts replaced. You may get away with reusing the HP seat. Odds are the LP seat is toast so you will need a new on, These are hard to find but Rob use to have a few NOS ones http://www.thescubamuseum.com/Online%20 ... ort=normal

Also, the over pressure valve (OPV) on this reg is NOT AN OPTION and since it has rubber internal parts, odds are it needs servicing. The second stage in this reg is an upstream design so you must have an OPV installed, otherwise if (when) the HP valve leaks, it can cause major damage at the worst time if the OPV is not installed. Keep in mind that the Nemrod is metric in design, the OPV has metric threads and the common 3/8-24 OPV will not fit. It's close but does not fit.
Thanks very much for the information!

SnarkIII
Lung Diver
First Name: Skip

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:28 am

Herman wrote:Based on the looks of the main diaphragm and exhaust mushroom, the reg needs all it's rubber internal parts replaced. You may get away with reusing the HP seat. Odds are the LP seat is toast so you will need a new on, These are hard to find but Rob use to have a few NOS ones http://www.thescubamuseum.com/Online%20 ... ort=normal

Herman I don't claim to be an expert in this area but I'll throw this out there for your thoughts. If this metric thread is G 1/8 could a Poseidon G 1/8 to 3/8-24 adapter be used along with a 3/8-24 OPV (which I believe is available in the VDH store)

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:47 am

Not sure what a G 1/8 is. Metric is mm x threads per mm. It's been a while since I measured the Snark OPV but I believe it was 10x 1 which is very close to 3/8-24 but not close enough to use. You will need a male 10x 1 to 3/8-24 female adapter....they may exist but I have never seen one.
Herman

mrepi2000
Diver
First Name: LB

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:11 pm

Maybe I'll just display it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:23 am

swimjim wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:20 pm
~snip~
When I acquired my Snark III, all the rubber parts were toast. I use a US Divers hose set with it. I use a US Divers single stage lp diaphragm with it. I was able to obtain an HP seat, a LP seat and an exhaust diaphragm from a forum member to bring the regulator back to life.
~snip~
Just wondering the diameter of the Snark III can exhaust valve (seems huge!) and whether anyone knows of a source of replacements... maybe in Europe?
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:27 am

I got my exhaust diaphragm from Enrique Dauner all the way from Spain. HP and LP seats too.

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:21 pm

PM sent.

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi all,
I have a limited supply of parts for the Snark III. LP seats, gaskets, exhaust valves, main diaphragms, oprv parts, and etc. Pls PM for specifics.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”