Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

FUBAR Mistral bottom can.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:51 pm

Overhauled a Mistral the other day. Took it out for a test dive and although it breathed great, it started breathing wet. Examined the hoses - all fine. Mouthpiece valves - all fine. Duckbill - new and laying flat. I never took the mouthpiece out of my mouth during the dive. Guess my old-man eyes were not focusing correctly when I assembled it. When I first received it the main diaphragm was toast and all melted onto the rim of the bottom can. I ran the can through the ultra-sonic cleaner a few times and recall seeing the chrome was rubbed off in areas but apparently didn’t look too closely before slapping a new diaphragm in and re-assembling. When I took it apart again I couldn’t believe I had missed the corrosion holes and other assorted defects. The odd thing was that it was only about an hour after the dive when I took the cans apart and it was bone-dry under the diaphragm, around the levers and inside the bottom can. So while I’m pretty sure the corrosion was the cause of the wet breathing, I’m still not 100% sure. The corrosion does not go all the way through the can. Anyway, here’s a pic.

Anyone have an extra Mistral bottom can I can replace mine with? Thanks. Mark.
DSC_6779.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver
First Name: Danny

Re: FUBAR Mistral bottom can.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:43 pm

I have a set of cans. The previous owner painted them black though. Should be easy enough to restore.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:49 pm

Goodlifedivers wrote:I have a set of cans. The previous owner painted them black though. Should be easy enough to restore.
PM SENT !

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:58 pm

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:38 pm

Thanks all !

Looks like I have a can coming from Goodlifedivers that will work.

This forum and group of people is amazing.

Hope to pay it forward wherever I can.

Mark

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:09 pm

As long as there is no cracks that could be filled with J B Weld and smoothed out.
Captain

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:23 pm

captain wrote:As long as there is no cracks that could be filled with J B Weld and smoothed out.
Captain,

Now there's an idea! No cracks, but a few (not quite sure how to descscribe it) "worm holes" down into the metal. Don't know if that prevents the ability to repair or not. Thanks for the tip. Mark

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:52 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:
captain wrote:As long as there is no cracks that could be filled with J B Weld and smoothed out.
Captain,

Now there's an idea! No cracks, but a few (not quite sure how to descscribe it) "worm holes" down into the metal. Don't know if that prevents the ability to repair or not. Thanks for the tip. Mark
If you decide to try filling the holes the way Tom is describing it would be nice if you take some pictures and show some before and after results for divers who might want to try something similar in the future ???
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:11 pm

ja, mein Doppelschlauch Taucher, ich werde

jrltenn
Master Diver
First Name: Joshua

Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:12 pm

dies sollte interessant sein

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”