Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Jaypee
Skin Diver
First Name: JP

Vintage or not?

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:29 am

Hi folks, i found these on Ebay while looking for Jet fins and i am now quite curious to find out when these "Aqualung Rapid Fins" were made. Anyone seen them before? Google is mum on the subject!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182194314250?ul_noapp=true

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Re: Vintage or not?

Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:33 am

Aqualung makes certain fins exclusively for the Japanese market, where rubber fins are still the norm. I found the following Jet Fin lookalike, also named "Aqualung Rapid" on the Japanese version of Amazon at https://www.amazon.co.jp/AQUALUNG-%E3%8 ... B00ZE6S6CY:
I'm aware that your version of the "Rapid" fin has different features:

Bryan, our Plank Owner, has posted an image of "Rare Japanese Rocket (Rapid) fins" at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5432

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Britmarine wrote:Aqualung makes certain fins exclusively for the Japanese market, where rubber fins are still the norm. I found the following Jet Fin lookalike, also named "Aqualung Rapid" on the Japanese version of Amazon at https://www.amazon.co.jp/AQUALUNG-%E3%8 ... B00ZE6S6CY:
I'm aware that your version of the "Rapid" fin has different features:

Bryan, our Plank Owner, has posted an image of "Rare Japanese Rocket (Rapid) fins" at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5432
The first fin is the Rocket, still in production today known as the Rocket 2 (or II). The difference is the two has a hole in the fin blade used to attach it to your upper calf when jumping out of an airplane or helo... and a hole in the heel to attach webbing to sling to your belt when climbing things (ladder, rocks, boats etc) you can guess the market these are "geared" towards.

http://www.aqualung.com/us/dive-gear/rocket-ii

Jaypee
Skin Diver

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:23 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas it looks like they may be similar to the pair Bryan has. I love how they look and that they've got the older aqualung logo. I may just purchase them :-)

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:27 am

I don't have Rocket Fins nor do I care for them. Jet Fins or Churchills are all I use these days. Often I post pictures of interesting things I come across that I may or may not have myself.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Jaypee
Skin Diver

Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:50 am

After doing a bit more research on jets versus rocket (rapid) fins i've decided not to buy them. By the sounds of it, the rocket fins do not stack up in the water and i'm not one to buy something only for the branding. While it would be nice to have all 70s US Divers gear, i can't justify it if the functionality suffers.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:46 am

Yes, Diving fins are all over the place with regard to personal preference and it takes years I suppose to find what an individual's is - (personal preference)
I have been using Rocket 2 fins almost exclusively for local diving for about 2 years and didn't care for them at all until they finally got "broken in" What I mean is that my set became much less stiff after 100 - 200 dives, being tossed around, out in the sun, beat up a little. I think the blades are a lot less stiff now than when new. I find the quick release buckle assemblies very stout as well although I never need to use the quick release spring squezzie things. I just pull em on and go in.

I hope someday my Ducks feel like these fins :)

As far as power in current and acceleration - I think my Rockets luck butt. But again, it's all what an individual likes. Plastic is out of the question so I guess we like jet fins, ducks, Hollis, OMS - the big rubber stuff ! My LDS has the new all black Churchill fins and I'm very close to picking up a set of those but I'm kind of embarrassed at how many fins I have laying around here - my place looks like a dive shop

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”