Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Full Face Wrap Around (USD

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:46 pm

Recently acquired a old (1950's) full face wrap around mask. Not sure which year but this mask vanished from the USD catalog in 1960. Some of our old frogs out there might remember this mask. :D 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Re: Full Face Wrap Around (USD

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:35 pm

The US Divers "Look-out" Full Face Mask
seems to have appeared first on page 13 of the 1958 US Divers catalogue. It reappeared on page 13 of the 1959 catalogue:
but was missing from subsequent editions.

Pedro
Skin Diver
First Name: Pedro

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:44 am

It looks great. Does it work or is it for collection only?

USdiver
Master Diver

Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:16 pm

It's quite beautiful in a wrap-around 1956 Cadillac windshield sort of way. There must be beau coup visual distortion, and difficulty in equalizing, plus massive free flow if you roll over on your back, but, at least you'll look cool during it all. Nice kit for the collection that.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Superlite
Master Diver

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:57 pm

The skirt is ripped and that makes it a display only. I was hoping it would be diveable but no such luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Superlite
Master Diver

Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:02 pm

USdiver wrote:It's quite beautiful in a wrap-around 1956 Cadillac windshield sort of way. There must be beau coup visual distortion, and difficulty in equalizing, plus massive free flow if you roll over on your back, but, at least you'll look cool during it all. Nice kit for the collection that.

Very true the distortion is there, however it is not overpowering. I use a normal wrap around for regular diving and as it is a variation of the FFM wrap around. The distortion sometimes causes a little surprise when something is spotted in the peripheral sides, but it is nothing that is a problem

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:08 pm

Superlite wrote:The skirt is ripped and that makes it a display only. I was hoping it would be diveable but no such luck.
I have carefully repaired some rips with AquaSeal to make a mask diveable... but not beautiful.
The older I get the better I was.

Superlite
Master Diver

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:02 am

antique diver wrote:
Superlite wrote:The skirt is ripped and that makes it a display only. I was hoping it would be diveable but no such luck.
I have carefully repaired some rips with AquaSeal to make a mask diveable... but not beautiful.

There is too much area of damage on the skirt just under the right side of the mask and the rip encompasses the lower head strap up to the lens.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”