Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: USD Royal Mistral (again)

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:36 pm

Also, Bill if you have extra seats or parts I would gladly pay or swap you for some.

I will take measurements, but I am almost positive that the body is just a modified DW body. It's the only part that is satin chrome too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Ron
Site Admin

USD Royal Mistral (again)

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:38 pm

Luis,

the orifice sits in the sleeve, with the oring between them.

Which part is the actual sealing surface? Is it the black orifice or the HP seat on this one? I've never seen a sealing surface without any nylon or Teflon.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:17 pm

Bryan wrote:This view does not show the sleeve or seat but I know both are there
The red spring is in the wrong place, it should be above the balance chamber.
Herman

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:27 pm

In the picture below, the different color center ring (making the orifice edge) should be the “soft seat”. I can’t tell from the picture, but it should be an insert and it may just be black nylon or maybe just a rubberized coating. It was probably a square edge when it was first installed

What I am puzzled: if the O-ring in the orifice seals on the inside of the sleeve then the bottom/ back face of the orifice has to seal against the bottom of the body. And there is not a lot of force pushing the back of the orifice against the body.

I don't see anything sealing the outside of the sleeve against the body. This creates a potential secondary leak path for high pressure air.

The backside doesn't look like it has any means of sealing against the body.

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Ron
Site Admin

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:00 pm

I thought the same thing. The oring was around the orifice and the orifice fits in the sleeve, but the sleeve just sits in the body. Air has to be able to work its way around the sleeve then on the outside, right?

luis
VDH Moderator

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:50 pm

Yes, air would leak, big time, if there is no seal. I don’t think they could have made such a big mistake and made it to market.

Are there any recessed O-ring groves in the body? Either on the side (gland seal type) or on the bottom (a face seal against the orifice).

Can you take some pictures showing the inside of the body?
Luis

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:56 pm

In one that I disassembled the sleeve was so tight in the bore I thought it must have been press fitted. Soaking it in various solvents loosened it up but it was still very difficult to get out.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin

Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:15 am

So here is a shot of the body. I swear it is a mistral that they drilled out. The black orifice does have some softer material on it, you can see it shine in the picture below. Also, the sleeve has no grooves or anything. I cannot figure out how that seals.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:29 am

:?: :?: I am probably way behind here and this probably has already been thought of, but what about dropping in a removable o-ringed hard orifice like in the Spirotechnique Royals and shimming the hard orifice into the seating ring? Then modify a RAM seat and crown block and to hell with the crazy cone hard seat and soft orifice.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

luis
VDH Moderator

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:42 am

The Spirotechnique Mistral has too small of an orifice.

The issue we are seeing is not with the orifice and seat, but the apparent lack of sealing method on the outside of the sleeve. The sleeve is required to support the pressure thrust on the balancing chamber.

On the Conshelf’s, and the RAM’s, ( etc.) instead of a sleeve, there is a step with an edge machined into the body to support the balancing chamber. In a Phoenix, an Argonaut, the Unicorn, or a Titan, (etc.) you have the same support edge, and the replaceable volcano orifice seals directly on a O-ring landing built into the body. The body is machined with three different internal diameter bores. It is critical that they are concentric.

I am having a real hard time accepting that US Diver could have made such a blatant mistake or oversight during the design and that it wasn’t caught before it went into production. Then again, we do know that they made the Deepstar II, but that one at least worked.

Thanks for the pictures.
Luis

luis
VDH Moderator

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:54 am

slonda828 wrote:So here is a shot of the body. I swear it is a mistral that they drilled out. The black orifice does have some softer material on it, you can see it shine in the picture below. Also, the sleeve has no grooves or anything. I cannot figure out how that seals.

Yes, I figured that it is probably a black nylon insert, or similar.

Can you measure (preferably with a dial caliper):
The OD of the orifice
The ID and OD of the sleeve (and the length of the sleeve)
The ID of the body.

Thanks
Luis

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:01 am

slonda828 wrote:Also, Bill if you have extra seats or parts I would gladly pay or swap you for some.

I will take measurements, but I am almost positive that the body is just a modified DW body. It's the only part that is satin chrome too.
I will dig through my old parts stash this weekend and see what I can find. Thanks for the extra photos.
The older I get the better I was.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:55 pm

Tom and I both tried various compounds of rubber and plastics in an attempt to replicate the seat. I wonder now if some other anomaly in its design was defeating us that we didn't realize?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:40 pm

antique diver wrote:
slonda828 wrote:Also, Bill if you have extra seats or parts I would gladly pay or swap you for some.

I will dig through my old parts stash this weekend and see what I can find. Thanks for the extra photos.

I found a couple of the poppets but no orifice/seat. I can't tell if its used or just a little dinghy from years in a box o junk.
Can send to you if you need it, let me know address.
The older I get the better I was.

Ron
Site Admin

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:21 pm

BT, PM inbound.

Luis, will a digital caliper work? I only own a very small amount of tools.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”