Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.

Cold Guard

Fri May 05, 2006 11:31 am

During a recent visit of Alex Pierce (aka Sea Hunter) we spent a week rummaging through boxes and boxes of items I had packed away in previous years. Each box offered a stash of treasures that had been all but forgotten... One box contained a box of watches; a gold ChronoSport, A US Divers Favre Leuba, a US Divers Orange faced Doxa and a number of other lessor know brands. The ChronoSport needed only a battery, the other two need repairs.

And of course items many common items that had been removed from the market many years ago. So here is another product from the past--

COLD GUARD!

What is it?

Who marketed it?

How was it used?

How was is sold?
Sheets?
Spray bottle?
Tube?
Jar?

Why was it removed from the market?

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri May 05, 2006 2:02 pm

Well, I am sure you know it but just in case, that DOXA is probably worth some cash. While DOXA itself may no longer be able to recondition that model, there are places that can. I had a old Heuer from that era and it no longer could be serviced by Heuer service centers. I sent it to a custom watch repair place and they repaired it and made a new stem seal, the part Heuer no longer had. Anyway, I would like to find a box of watches just laying around--dang---lol. Get that DOXA fixed.

James

treasureman
Master Diver

Fri May 05, 2006 4:57 pm

Cold Guard.

sounds like some vaseline type of skin protectant when in cold water.
There used to be such a cream that got smeared on face and lips juist before doing an ice dive. It kept the cold water off the skin. Helped a little.
NAVED # 133...

Bon Vivant, and treasure finder

pearldiver
Vintage Diver

Fri May 05, 2006 10:27 pm

21, hey how are you? The cold guard came in a container like cold cream. The container was white and had a liquid consistancy of vaseline intensive care. There was an additive in it that looked like little sparkles and the cream itself was white. It only helped put your mind at ease for cold ice dives, and really did nothing. The container was white and a plastic circular container with a white lid that screwed on. It was about 4 inches around and about 3" tall. The labele was adhered to only the jar part, not the lid, and was written in blue and black ink. As far as who sold it, If I remember right, it may have been Aqua Craft, or Dacor. I am leaning towards Dacor since their colors on lables were black and blue in the olden days. Try around 1971 or 1972 era. Dacor also had a neat little white crayola pen type thing that you could mark your gear with. everyone had one or more in their possession around here. Aqua Craft had a little bottle of yellow rubber paint that worked well to mark your gear.
Gayle

pearldiver
Vintage Diver

Fri May 05, 2006 11:01 pm

PS: You were supposed to take this cream and put it on you like vaseline intensive care would be used. I was supposed to be used on the exposed skin on your face. It wasn't greasy at all, and didn't stay white on you, it rubbed right in, but it did leave a greasy feel. It didn't work worth a darn and cost about $3.00 which was quite expensive back then.

COLD GUARD-- RESPONSE

Sat May 06, 2006 1:12 am

YOU ARE SO CORRECT!

In it's contaner and application procedure

It also came in two size plastic jars

You are INCORRECT in the distributor...
Blue and black? the color should provide a clue...

But...

Why was it removed from the market place?

fishb0y
Lung Diver

Sat May 06, 2006 1:42 am

Was it Scubapro? I would imagine that people would have had alergic reactions to it.

pearldiver
Vintage Diver

Sat May 06, 2006 7:36 am

He hee.... It may have ruined your gear. The stuff would not come off easily and was almost like snot in the jar. :shock:

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat May 06, 2006 7:44 am

I bet it had ingredients that caused cancer when applied in excessive amounts on small lab animals. :roll:
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Cold guard==scuba Pro

Sat May 06, 2006 9:58 am

["fishb0y"]Was it Scubapro? I would imagine that people would have had alergic reactions to it.]

It was Scuba Pro!

NO!

It did no cause and allergic reaction

pearldiver
Vintage Diver

Sat May 06, 2006 10:21 am

The only other answer I have to this question. By the way, I thought you were really asking me what this stuff was and not a question to answer!! duhhhh! Anyway... I do know that the hoods made were being made a little better and a little more face covereage and drysuits were starting to get sold. So, I'd have to say it was discontinued because no one bought it anymore. What say you?? :wink:

Cold Guard--CA

Sat May 06, 2006 10:31 am

["luis"]I bet it had ingredients that caused cancer when applied in excessive amounts on small lab animals. quote]
_______________________________________--

Luis,

As always---- YOU ARE CORRECT! One of it's major components does cause Cancer in lab animals and in Humans if handled improperly or invades the respiratatory system. (Gail--check your nose, toes and fingers and where ever else you may have applied Cold Guard)

HINT--The substance was once used in home construction for it's insulation properties..

fishb0y
Lung Diver

Re: Cold Guard--CA

Sat May 06, 2006 11:54 am

21 wrote:HINT--The substance was once used in home construction for it's insulation properties..

So it must be asbestos?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat May 06, 2006 11:56 am

I would say asbestos as well....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

pearldiver
Vintage Diver

Sat May 06, 2006 1:16 pm

Well, between my radio active watch and that cold guard. I'm in awful shape here aren't I?? :shock:

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”