Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
eskimo3883
Master Diver

Green lable voit brought back with chrome and Faux Label

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:46 pm

I have had a Voit VR1 with trashed chrome for a few years. It was a bargain but I have put off doing anything because one of the tabs on the label was broken and it had bad paint. For me the label is an important part of the reg. The quality of the new labels have made a re-chrome worth while. I could not be more pleased. Shiny face and dull chrome rear. Internals/externals match the cans. The SS faux label looks like it was made by Voit. I have some before and after pics. I have problems photographing shiny surfaces but this thing is so beautiful I would go shopping with it if it asked.

Chrome was down to the brass in spots although a strip of tape protected a portion of the chrome. There was a heavy crust over most of the externals.

Here are VR1 and VR2 Faux labels

I have a VR2 (SN 1324) I have included photos to compare it's Voit made label to DB's Faux VR2 label. Once again, crap photos. In my hand they the two look extremely close. Original labels are aluminum. Faux are SS but they are too close to originals so I plan to leave off the VR1's and VR2's serial numbers to avoid making counterfeits.

“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Green lable voit brought back with chrome and Faux Label

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:28 am

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing the photos and story. Is this is the reg that gets the green hoses and straight green mouthpiece?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:56 am

Hi,

All my Voit catalogs came from this sight and from the 1956 catalog I believe the green is correct. I have a set of green hoses and mouth piece for this reg. I also have a green set of original Voit tank straps for the total package. It looks like 1960 Voit regs had grey. I am not clear when Voit left green hoses. Hoping some one can comment more knowledgeable than myself.

Also, not clear on dating Voit serial numbers. My VR2 is SN 1224 so I think its pretty early. Did I miss a discussion on this?
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:52 am

Just realized I never mentioned Chrome and label were via DB. Quality stuff.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:33 pm

- I had the opportunity to see a single stage "Voit Lung" double hose regulator with a blue label, satin cans, and gray hoses last weekend. Apparently it was not catalogued and extremely rare... Identical to a USD Mistral inside.
- I'd sure like to see a picture of your reg all finished off with the green hoses and mouthpiece... When do you plan to take it diving?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”