Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Re: Vintage Equipment Photo Section

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Here's some of my Soviet/Eastern European regs.

This is a Soviet AVM-3, which is a second stage regulator. It's supposed to be a part of a package which includes two tanks, a remote first stage, piping, SPG, etc. I have it cobbled up with all kinds of adapters to test it. I thought a qc would be the way to go, but it is too long. However, it appears to be a great candidate for chest mounting:

ImageIMG_3069 by Vancetp, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2964 by Vancetp, on Flickr

Here's the system (which I do not have!):

Images-l1600 (3) by Vancetp, on Flickr

This is an AVM-1M, which is a two stage regulator. According to the Soviet Manual of Scuba Diving, the AVM-3 was an improved version of the AVM-1M because it provided a point for surface air to be pumped to the diver:

ImageAVM-1M3 by Vancetp, on Flickr

ImageAVM-1M6 by Vancetp, on Flickr

The Soviet hoseloops sometimes did not utilize non-return valves, so I found a set of WWs from a Sportsways mouthpiece that fit well:

ImageIMG_3039 by Vancetp, on Flickr

And this is a Polish Kaiman single stage regulator. This one came with non-return valves. The hoses, mouthpiece and duckbill are retained by fine mono-filament:

ImageIMG_3240 by Vancetp, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3247 by Vancetp, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3245 by Vancetp, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3238 by Vancetp, on Flickr

The Soviet regs are kind of crude, but are pretty good breathers. Odd that they used squid for duckbills! :)

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:23 pm

I own a Kaiman and I have to say, it's a really nice reg. It's missing it's label though. If your label is still off, could you make a copy and send it to me? Maybe I could make something for display purposes. Thanks!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:32 pm

Komrad Vance,
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:33 pm

swimjim wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:23 pm
I own a Kaiman and I have to say, it's a really nice reg. It's missing it's label though. If your label is still off, could you make a copy and send it to me? Maybe I could make something for display purposes. Thanks!
Email sent, Jim!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”