Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

70's era US Divers J-Valve parts?

Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:30 pm

Rob S. and I picked up a couple of nice 72's some time back, and they had two J-valves from the early 70's. The one on my vintage diving tank is leaking when the J-valve is opened. I disassembled the entire valve (both sides), and have cleaned it thoroughly. I now need two complete rebuild kits for the two separate valves. Can anyone be of assistance? I know that Karl K. was able to get some parts for one of Rob's valves, so Karl may be able to help. Cosmetically, the two are in outstanding condtion, so I would really like to be able to get all of the parts including the new seats and nylon seals.

Thanks.

Greg Barlow
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

kgehring
Master Diver

Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:20 pm

Greg, Email me a pic of the valve and I will see if parts are available.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:00 pm

kgehring wrote:Greg, Email me a pic of the valve and I will see if parts are available.
Karl, it looks just like the one that you are currently selling on eBay.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

kgehring
Master Diver

Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:18 pm

I do not have a parts schematic, but I know the J side is $40+ for the J valve internals plus the seat at $7 est.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:00 am

I have one parts kit coming from Marvels, but I fear it is not the correct one. AquaLung says that the kits are all interchangeable, but I will be very surprised if it works.

I'll let you know. I can buy a new Thermo valve for just about what I paid to Marvels.

Thanks.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:49 pm

Greg Barlow wrote:I have one parts kit coming from Marvels, but I fear it is not the correct one. AquaLung says that the kits are all interchangeable, but I will be very surprised if it works.

I'll let you know. I can buy a new Thermo valve for just about what I paid to Marvels.

Thanks.

Greg

Well, the parts came from Marvel today...They are not correct. Some of them are, but the pressed in large nylon seat used on the reserve side bonnet is completely different, as are a few others. I left every part in their numbered polybags, so I will likely try to sell the set to someone who has a 1980+ J-valve with the rubber handwheels. If anyone is interested, I will let them go for $25, which includes the shipping. I spent almost $34 from Marvels, so....

I have ordered two new Thermo valves...Looks like I will have to use my banjo fitting, instead of my prefered reserve valve. Oh, well......I can buy Thermo kits for $15 each.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”