Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
8dust
Master Diver

Nice replacement straps for a Swimaster Wideview mask

Fri May 14, 2010 8:59 pm

So, I’ve been trying to rework my Wideview to operable condition for a while now.
Softening up the neoprene has been a major issue, but I believe that has been mostly solved by the liberal and repeated use of 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Next issue was, that no matter how hard I squished up against my forehead and top lip, the rubber was barely, if not at all, hitting my wide but apparently not wide enough face at the outside corners of my eyes. I think I’ve got that pretty well licked too by having shaved the neoprene edge down at my lip and forehead to the point it’s hitting at the outer edges with minimal pressure and will stay in place with a good deep breath in. Not perfect, but seems workable. Hardest part of that was finding an ultra-sharp but thin & flexible blade for the job. I ended up breaking up a disposable twin blade razor and using the larger one of those. My finger tips didn’t like it very much but all things heal in time and it did a good job.

Biggest problem as I saw it was the straps. The originals were pretty dry rotted and not at all usable. My first impulse was to use one long strap and then a slider on either side to secure the ends. Even was lucky enough to have received a donated Wideview slider to go with the one I had…. Although it worked fine, it just didn’t look right and really bothered me as a consequence. If I wanted to be practical and settle, I could just go back to one of the ½ dozen silicone jobs in the diving equipment closet. So… as the ends of the original straps were terminated with the funny wedge deal they had, and I wasn’t about to have some duplicates custom made, I started thinking about a reasonable substitute that would: 1) use two straps, 2) attached to the frame in something close as possible to the original way, and 3) used the one original central slider.

Rubber, don’t know a thing about it. Learned a lot. Took a VERY long way around to find that regular EPDM roof rubber works GREAT for this application. It was the same 1/16” thickness as the original, was nicely stretchy without being too stretchy, was very tough, should be very UV resistant, and was easily obtainable in small but plenty big enough pieces for free. Hard to cut perfectly straight with scissors, razor knife tended to pull the material and goof up straightness too. Cut strips really well with a rotary cutter out of wife’s quilt box. Most excellent tool to have. Then came the most important part, the ends. I wanted them to have the same visual weight as the originals. Came up with this. Ended up being very simple, but I think fits all my criteria very very well and has my mask back in operation. Also helps to be a CHEAP & EASY solution, my favorite!

For anyone interested in making a set, I would advise just a few guidelines.

- Find yourself a nice clean new piece of material to use. Don’t pay any more for it than a 6-pack of low-end beer.
- Invest in the rotary cutter (~$12.00?). Makes the straps look much more finished and professional, and has a thousand other uses.
- Don’t forget to punch the holes at the ends of the strap slot. Punch them first and ever so slightly farther apart than the width of the strap, then cut the slot from one to the other. The holes keep the slot from tearing, effectively making it much much stronger.
- Thread the strap through the frame as shown, from back to front, then through the strap end. This takes most of the stress of the strap end as you pull it over your head since the strap then pulls on the frame and not the cut end of the strap itself.
- The size of the end I setteled on is (1/2") x (strapwidth + 1/2"), or basically, 1/4" wider all the way around the slot.

The set in the photos are a little crude, because they were only the "test set" to get the measurements worked out, but they have held up so well, I decided to leave them in to see how long they last. I feel sure I will get even more mileage out of a set I was more careful fabricating. Little wipe down with some 303 and it's off to the lake.

Happy Wideviewing, Fred :D
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: Nice replacement straps for a Swimaster Wideview mask

Sat May 15, 2010 12:05 am

Wow man, that looks top notch. I think we know who to bug if we need straps 8)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Emilio Largo
Vintage Diver

Sat May 15, 2010 7:35 am

I had the strap on my Swimaster Wideview break while at Sanddog in the Bahamas. Luckily, a generic neoprene and nylon strap works very well. The buckles allow for easy adjustment and are more secure than the original Swimaster slider. I've had my Wideview almost come off a couple times after I used Aerospace 303 on the straps. They were so slippery that the slider would not hold it.

I plan on getting a black Trident neoprene split mask strap or Neosplit stap to replace the UNEXSO strap on there currently. It will look a bit more "correct" and be more functional.
“A diver wears a watch to tell what sport is his. The secondary function is to tell what time it is.” -Dick Anderson, Scubapro Catalog

8dust
Master Diver

Sat May 15, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks Slonda.

Emilio, I was a little concerned post-facto about the straps being too slick from the 303, so I rubbed them down with a rag pretty well to remove any extra gloss. Also, the old slider that came with that mask is a very rough stamped out piece of SS, not like the "newer" more rounded ones, so the back face of the stamping is a little sharp. Not enough to cut the strap, but sharp enough to get a good bite on the rubber. Haven't had it slip yet but I probably need to give it more of a workout before I'd trust it on a deeper/longer dive.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

sthtxdiver
Master Diver

Sat May 15, 2010 9:41 pm

cool deal i should have kept mine sadly purge valve was shot never tried asking if valve could be replaced or just closed up . thank you for sharing oh by the way good job best regards
Charlie

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:14 am

sthtxdiver wrote:cool deal i should have kept mine sadly purge valve was shot never tried asking if valve could be replaced or just closed up . thank you for sharing oh by the way good job best regards
The valve is a funky mushroom-shaped design. I have replaced a couple by obtaining Wide Views with perished skirts (but still good valves). But that is always a crap shoot.
You could also just get a rubber disc and screw it down tight to seal the purge opening. But that kind of defeats the purpose of diving a Wide View..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”