Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Mudhog
Lung Diver

What if.

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:41 pm

What if I had taken up scuba when I first had a chance?
X-mass 1975, as an almost 16 year old I went with my family to Florida, that was the first time I thought "hey scuba is something I could do".
Uncle said he would let us breath of the his tank at the bottom of a 6 foot pool but later said no. We swam like fishs in the ocean and lived it up while the natives shivered and grumped about the cold 60 deg weather.
Went to a coulple of dive shops and looked at cataloges,
so my brain is kinda set on this era for gear.
My plan is to collect gear I would have wanted and maybe had if I could have gotten certified in the late 1970s.
The only other factor was all the JYC specials, sure wish they would run them again. :cry:

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:06 pm

Well, are you working on getting a c-card? I may have misunderstood and you already have one. If not, just go to whatever dive shop you can find and get a c-card-even a PadI card. Do it now, SDIII is not far away. Time to get wet. Oh, they not goingto let you use antique scuba gear in a scuba course, just go along with the poor things and we will take care of the rest.
James

Mudhog
Lung Diver

Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:27 pm

PADI is the only game for many miles so I am resigned to being a nice little padioid till they considder me worthy of their card. Plan to maximize the value of training time. Hoping some of the old skills will be mentioned, :twisted:yeah right :twisted:
Looking forward to comparing fins and masks, not so much the go-go-gadget BCs. Wonder if anybody will try to get me to buy a big knife?

treasureman
Master Diver

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:50 pm

Not only will they try to get you to buy a knife, they will try to get you to buy a tiny little colour co-ordinated knife to match the d-ringed BC they will want you to buy.

Real vintage divers carry the biggest shark knives ever seen. Some true blue hero type vintage divers never carried a knife because they would just bite their way trhough ropes and fishing lines, and when it came to abalone, they gave it a chuck noris karate chop and the poor bugger came lose
NAVED # 133...

Bon Vivant, and treasure finder

Mudhog
Lung Diver

Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:43 pm

:shock: You mean black/silver isn't color co-ordinated? :shock:

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”