Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
treasureman
Master Diver

Band Clamps

Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:23 pm

I was in the process of trying to drill or rather enlarge the hole on the band clamp so i could use the Fillister screws. I thing it looks way sharp when they are on.

I gotta tell you, that stainless they used is incredibly tough. It resisted for a while my titanium coated HS steel bits. I even went to a dremel reamer, and wore it out.

Anyway perserverence pays off, now all but one reg has the filisters..looks so KEWL. That is one tough band clamp. Well made, quality kit just the way i like all my kit.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:19 am

I actually prefer standard high speed steel and a parrafin lubricant (BoeLube) for stainless. Place the clamp with the ear to be drilled down on a piece of MDF and using a 1/4 inch high speed Sioux air drill--zip right through. Oh, you only got a ol' battery drill (lol)--well--guess it will have to do. Sometimes it is best to size up rather than make the jump in one attempt. It is still a small hole so you should be OK. I used a drill press actually but I fear suggesting that as the thought of the bit jammed in the band clamp with it whirling about removing fangles disturbs me.
James

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”