Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
sthtxdiver
Master Diver

Re: Spiro Mistral mouthpiece

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:41 am

hello i believe the standard mistral came with the metal t . then there are 1st and 2nd generation royal with rubber aquastop (valves)i dive with a 2nd generation with a metal mouthpiece with treads none valves (royal mistral pro) hope this helps
Charlie

scaph
Master Diver

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:53 am

Hello Andy,

have a look at this thread: http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum3 ... f=5&t=3102
When were these available, were they only availble on models with a certain address?
No answer for those questions, sorry :(

Eric http://www.detendeursanciens.com

scaph
Master Diver

Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:22 am

Andy,
i will not say easy, but easier than the metal aquastop :lol:

Eric www.detendeursanciens.com

annectens
Skin Diver

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Mmmmmm... metal mouthpiece por a Spiro Mistral without aquastops.... mmmmm.... yes, i have one!!
Nemrod Snark Silver III, Spiro Mistral, Rolleimarin, Calypsophot, Fenzy and... Land Rover series III

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:46 pm

My latest acquisition into the wonderful world of double hose diving is a mint condition La Spirotechnique Royal Mistral, I purchased it off the original owner who used it as a professional photographer on the Great Barrier Reef in the 1980's. After his retirement from diving it was carefully washed out and has been sitting in a box for the past 18 years.

It has the US diameter yoke nozzle but no HP port.
It also has the shorter yoke, but I have sourced a heavy duty Spiro one stamped Made In France... just to keep it all original.
The original yoke connector nut should work, the holes are the same diameter.

The hoses and mouthpiece are in amazingly good condition, the rubber is supple and no cracks however 18 years of storage has meant one hose has taken a set and is longer than the other one. So I will order new Spiro hoses along with a service kit, and reuse the mouthpiece... which is actually very comfortable.
Put me on the list if VDH gets around to making reproduction Aquastop mouthpieces :D

However the inlet/exhaust non-return valves are completely shot... they are 31mm dia but I don't see that size listed in the VDH store.
G250 valves at 33mm dia are too big.
Will the Kraken DSV/Duckbill Eliminator valves fit... their actual diameter is not listed?
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Fibonacci wrote: Put me on the list if VDH gets around to making reproduction Aquastop mouthpieces :D

It would cost twice as much to reproduce the LaSpirotechnique mouthpiece than it did to make the Argonaut DSV

However the inlet/exhaust non-return valves are completely shot... they are 31mm dia but I don't see that size listed in the VDH store.
G250 valves at 33mm dia are too big.
Will the Kraken DSV/Duckbill Eliminator valves fit... their actual diameter is not listed?
Standard mouthpiece valves will fit but you will need to enlarge the holes on the wagon wheels a bit and trim the stem to get it to pass though. A small drop of silicone to hold it in place and you are good to go. Mine have been this way for 10+ years with no issue.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks Bryan... by standard mouthpiece valves you mean the ones on the Kraken and DBE?
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Fibonacci wrote:Thanks Bryan... by standard mouthpiece valves you mean the ones on the Kraken and DBE?
No I mean mouthpiece valves. The DBE and Kraken exhaust are a larger diameter and won't work.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”