Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
treasureman
Master Diver

A tale of sorrow and anger

Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:02 pm

The estate that i got most of my double hoses from had a Nice 1970 Royal Aquamaster. I had spoken to the son of the fella that died when i bought up the gear.

This Royal had hoses which were ok, mouthpiece ok everything was great except for this huge hole punched cleanly through the centre.

It happens that the son when he was young and stupid thought that the neat round Royal Aquamaster insignia would make for a very nice 100 yard target.

He apparently took his dads rifle out to the reange and his new target and proceeded to put a round through it. He thought it was a junk reg because no parts were available so he ruined it. Apparently his dad gave him a licking the likes he says he has never had.

Anyway, it was such a well placed shot that not one mechanical part or yoke was serviceable. Only the hoses.

Youth is wasted on the young.

Then again age and threachery will always win out over youth and skill

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:23 am

dont ever post a terrible story like that one again...sniff sniff.. :cry:

duckbill

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:35 am

Could we please have a moderator remove this thread?

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:09 pm

I would like that we all should observe a moment of silence..................TAPS playing softly in the background! :cry:

Just teasin u Treasureman :P

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:15 pm

Read the story on Ron Bensons site on how all the stuff from Jack the Frogman shop was being liquidated... how the scrap metal people were cutting the hoses off and throwing them in the dumpster and had a big pile of two hosers going for scrap brass.....Lots of stuff was thrown away in the 1st load before Ron could get to it.

I would like to see a photo of the William Tell regulator!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

That's nothing..................

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:31 am

Here in Australia Aqua Lung is distributed by a company know as Aquanauts. I spoke to the state representative. He said that in 1982 when Aqua Lung closed it's doors in Melbourne and Aquanauts set up in the East, they took as many regulators to the brass scrap metal place as they would take, then threw away....10 cubic meters of regulators. (about 11 cubic yards). He said they had a trade in special at one time, where people could get a discount by trading any old regulator and there were many vintage regulators turned in. He took home another 300 regulators.

For those of you who are crying at this point, there is one good side. Double hose regulators were not too common, as they started making single hose regulators here in 1952, a year before the green label Aqua Lungs began production in the USA.

BROXTON CHUCK

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:32 pm

Hey Steve, were divin TROY SPRING this weekend. Why not drive over and try your non mag in the clear fresh water. Bring a bag of licorice with you, and Ill have some sand dogs so you wont go hungry. Chucko :D :D

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

....few and far between.

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:14 am

Hi Chuck,

I'll have to mail the licorice. It's enormous here.

Troy Springs... sounds like FLA, Branford area. Am I right? It's been many years since I dived central Florida's many springs and caves. I was in flight school at Ft Rucker in 1974 and dived most weekends. That's where I got my triple Rene's. They are being restored now. They are the heavy 2600 psi Broxtons. I'll send some pic's once they are finished. They have been under my parent's house for the past 25 years.

The trouble here is the Aussies are rather guarded and when you try to ask about a classic Porpoise or other rare reg., they think it's worth a fortune. I have a friend with a 1953 model. Sadly, Ted Eldred, the single hose Porpoise inventor, just died. I met him in April at a special HDS day held for him. He was a fine man and it was an honor to have met him.

Double hose regs were rare here and are few and far between now. They called them 'twin hose demand valves'. That non-mag is a treasure...too beautiful to dive in the sea. I just got a Drager Duomat to add to the collection as well. Good to hear from you mate. Steve

BROXTON CHUCK

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:56 pm

Hey Steve. Why not drive down to TROY SPRING in Florida USA this weekend. Do some 2 hoser divin with us. We will be wiped out on whiskey and sand dogs, and if we run out of sand dogs, we will cook a manatee, basted with dr pepper, tomato puree and "OLD HAWK" for that natural southern goodness. Ill bring the compressor and trickle some "OLD HAWK" into the air intake, for a real smooth dive. Think easy, pull easy............. this is the big one dont miss it!! :D :D

treasureman
Master Diver

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:14 am

Old Hawk...is that like "famous grouse" or worse?

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:21 am

Ah yes, Owe Hawk. A wonderous day in the lives of two "old" vintage divers. A great day of diving with a wonderfully tuned RAM for me and a superb Broxton for Chucko. A tall glass of the fantastic bourbon straight from the Kentucky hills. A relaxing couch to watch Sea Hunt videos. It doesn't get much better than that.

Aussie Licorice

Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:00 pm

AUSSIE LICORICE

It is the world's best!

My daughter who lives in Brisbane always brings a years supply when she visits the US.

It is sold at Trader Joe's. They were established in California as a California based speciality store. Some years ago they were purchased by a European company who has expanded the chain through out the US.

I recall seeing one, much to my suprise, in Dayton Ohio (Robo!)

BROXTON CHUCK

Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:26 pm

Hi Simonbeans! I was cleaning out my regulator overhaul tool case, and found two bottles of "OLD HAWK" in the bottom, wrapped in newspapers still from 1948. This stuff also makes for a good metal cleaner!!! Shall I send you a bottle. Contact me off line. The AUSSIE licorice is available at Wal Mart now. Miers stores also carry it. Its great for repairing double hosers, after a hose cutting job, as the color matches!! :wink:

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”