Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
duckbill

Trying to remember the name of my old mask

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:17 am

The story: I never throw anything away. My wife is always on me that I have too much "stuff" (sound familiar?!). It is just that I have found that every time I throw something away, I soon find I have need of it once it is gone, even though I may have had it for decades. A while back I was getting rid of "stuff" for once and was quite proud of my progress. One of the items disposed of was an old Voit? mask which was starting to get cracked and gummy around the skirt. A couple of days later I was looking at some of my dad's old slides from one of our Hawaii trips as a youngster when I noticed that the very mask that had just taken a ride in the garbage truck was the mask I had bought new in the seventies and used on my very first dive- at Captain Cook's Cove! So slap me silly. I've already done in my other end with my heels!

The description: I believe the mask was made by AMF and/or Voit. It had a neoprene rubber skirt, no purge, finger pockets, semi-rectangular lense surrounded by a retaining ring of black plastic with red plastic trim between the lense and retaining ring (no metal ring on this one).

The question: I'm trying to remember the name which was molded into the top of the skirt. It was "Vista-Vision" or "Vista-View" or "Wide-View" or "Wide-Vision". I'm leaning toward one of the "Vistas", but I just can't seem to remember. Does anyone know this mask?

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:48 pm

I bet Greg Barlow will know the answer...He is the voitscubacollector....

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Re: Trying to remember the name of my old mask

Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:23 pm

The description: I believe the mask was made by AMF and/or Voit. It had a neoprene rubber skirt, no purge, finger pockets, semi-rectangular lense surrounded by a retaining ring of black plastic with red plastic trim between the lense and retaining ring (no metal ring on this one).

The question: I'm trying to remember the name which was molded into the top of the skirt. It was "Vista-Vision" or "Vista-View" or "Wide-View" or "Wide-Vision". I'm leaning toward one of the "Vistas", but I just can't seem to remember. Does anyone know this mask?[/quote]

Your memory serves you well. The mask that you are describing is the AMF Voit Wide Vision model. The catalog number was B59BKS, and it was offered with a variety of accent colors: red, white, yellow, and black. I'm not certain, but I believe that it was actually produced at the Mares factory in Rapallo, Italy. I own a few Voit masks from the same era, and those with the colored plastic accent trim were often made in Italy.

One of my favorite Voit (Mares) mask from the mid 70s was the Baja. I own two of them that are still in the factory sealed bags. I typically dived during those years with the Voit (Mares) Competiton.

I don't currently own a Wide Vision, but I will keep my eyes open for one. I understand your frustration, but chances are that one will eventually turn up on eBay or elsewhere.

Best of Luck!

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

duckbill

Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:38 pm

Thankyou VERY MUCH Greg for that informative answer. Yes, I will be watching for one as well. I won't end up with "mine", but the memories will still be there.
So, am I correct in remembering that molded in the top of the skirt are the words "Wide-View"?
Thanks again.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:11 pm

I told u Greg would know! 8) Is this the best place for us vintage guys or what????

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:02 pm

duckbill wrote:Thankyou VERY MUCH Greg for that informative answer. Yes, I will be watching for one as well. I won't end up with "mine", but the memories will still be there.
So, am I correct in remembering that molded in the top of the skirt are the words "Wide-View"?
Thanks again.

Yes, the words were molded in the top of the skirt. One side should have read AMF Voit, and the other "Made In Italy".

I am more than happy to be of help.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”