Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Hookah port adapters

Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:17 pm

I am a bit perplexed. I bought a hookah adapter from Brian to add a BC/alternate hose (I will use an Air2 on a Sectec BC when I must to dive on commercial dive op boats). However, I do not like to bend the hose in such a large arc to come back to my left side. I am trying to find a 90 degree fitting to make the turn at the adapter. So far not good luck. I got a 3/8f to a 3/8 male swivel adapter from leisurepro, but it won't work. So I am looking a solid 90 degree fitting. Anybody have any ideas?
Allan

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:15 pm

I think that Nemrod had such a creature.....You know those aircraft guys, they have all the best tools and toys!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:52 pm

Bryan wrote:I think that Nemrod had such a creature.....You know those aircraft guys, they have all the best tools and toys!
James, help. I need a 90 degree turn to hook up with Bryan's adapter and a LP hose. Mucho in advance?????
Allan

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:27 pm

I use the 3/8" Male to 3/8" Female with Swivel, Regulator Adapter (AA46, LeisurePro SKU: AQUHAA46) or the Regulator Hose Fitting (3)3/8" Females (1) 3/8" MALE (AA53, SKU: AQUAA53), but you have to use a 3/8” washer to keep the barrel of the fitting from sliding down on top of the hookah adapter. Both of those fittings are design to bottom out against the body of a regulator.

You can use nylon or a Stainless Steel washer. I prefer the nylon. The ones I found at the local hardware store have an ID of 3/8” and an OD of 5/8 inch, which is perfect.
I remove the O-ring from the swivel 3/8” male, place the washer against the swivel and then replace the O-ring to hold it tight. This O-ring is not needed for sealing since the 3/8” threads will bottom out inside the hookah fitting. Bryan includes a small O-ring to place inside the female 3/8” threads.

I can send you some pictures if that would help.

I actually use a 3 port fitting and then a 90deg swivel for the inflator to create a U turn (180 degree). This seems to make the inflator hose point a bit down and it works great.
Depending on who I am diving with, the 3 port fitting also allows me to add an octopus.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:42 pm

Allen, what I am using is an HP 90 degree swivel bought from Diverite Express. Yes, it is high pressure.I then used an adapter to get back to my single hose thread size since the outlet on the 90 is for I think 3/8ths thread. Some of these adapters have a small restricytor hole in them. If so you will drill it out which is easy to do in the soft brass. Otherwise at low tank pressure and high demmand it will restrict the flow to the back up regulator. After coming back from Wazee I removed my 90 degree which I had stacked on top of a three way swivel. I now have my LP inflator hose coming off one side and the back up regulator hose off the other side and the end port is plugged. This also give you a 90 degree turn. I route my back up semi DIR style under my RH arm and use a bungee loop to hang it around my neck. This requires the once standard DIR length 40 inch regulator hose and another regulator swivel. The regulator swivel is wonderful in that it allows you to turn the regulator to face an OOA diver or for you to breath off it without it twisting in your mouth. These are alos on the Diverite Express page. I think both are under the hoses section.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/

I may reinstall the HP swivel at some point as it does allow the hose to the back up to route cleaner than the three way swivel.

Back to the bungee around the neck--since in DIR the primary is donated and the bungeed back up then goes to the donating divers mouth the bungee is used to keep it where he can grab it quick. Since we vintage divers most likely will not donate the double hose--to diffucult and to short--that means we donate the back up (opposite of DIR). This means the bungee must have a clip or breakaway feature (velcro, snap, octa snap etc) so that it can be pulled from your neck and handed to the OOA diver.
I like the back up bungeed to my neck, it is always where I want it, it is streamlined, it is quick to deploy in case my double hose goes south or in case another diver needs it. I definitly recommend you go with a 40 inch hose. DIR uses a 7 foot hos looped around their head. This evolved from cave diving and in my opinion is not suitable nor needed for open water diving. I also recommend using a 20 inch HP hose for the spg and then clip it to a D ring on the LH waiste strap using a snap swivel or double ender.
I also liked Luis set up.
James

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:49 pm

One other thing, I have never been a fan of those "Air Toos" or other such combined LP inflator/regulators. I know many open water divers use them but they have severe limits in an emergency and they complicate hose routing often more than simplyfying them. I would go back to a standard inflator on my BC over the LH shoulder or under, a back up second stage clipped on my BC/chest area or bungeed to the neck. Maybe I am wrong here but that is my thinking for now.
James

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”