Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Double Hose Ice Diving

Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:54 pm

Double Hose Ice Diving
- Midwest School of Diving hosted a HUGE Ice Diving event last weekend Jan 29th. Something like 60 divers participated and they came from all over the country. I even saw one license plate from Florida! Well, our own SheriffDiver Ron signed up to participate with his Cousteau themed gear... UDS 1, suite with yellow stripes, yellow helmet, etc. The event sponsor was very supportive and friendly.
- Fear of falling and shattering the UDS housing on the hard ice had Ron change to his blessed Twin 38s with a Phoenix double hose reg, horse collar BCD, and yellow striped theme.
- SheriffDiver Ron suited up in his custom made Cousteau Replica one-piece wetsuit with attached booties and hood. Rich and Tom and I helped him suit up. And before you know it he was walking toward the open water hole in the ice.
- The divers were all tethered by ropes and harness for safety. Some were there for training and certification. Others like Ron are already certified and just needed a refresh on rope signals and procedures before dropping in. The girl in the red suit is an instructor and has logged something like 15 ice dives so far this year!
- Water was very clear and cold (37 degrees F). Dives were for 13 minutes at a time. If you wanted to stay in longer you could. Quite a few other divers wore wetsuits... Not all dry suits like you'd think. Everybody gave a little gasp of shock from the cold when they got, but that passed in a few moments. And it looked like everyone had a wonderful time.
- Many Thanks to Mark Dugger of Midwest School of Diving. Organized this wonderful event for all of our enjoyment. I visited with him briefly and he is a heck of a nice guy.
- The support team for SheriffDiver Ron included Rich Merten, Tom McClusky, and me SurfLung.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Double Hose Ice Diving

Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:51 pm

Ice dives like that are a blast and this one appears to be no exception! Maybe I'll get up there next year if all goes well. :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:29 pm

Wow, that is a lot of people. I don't know that we have that many divers here in Maine. That is cool... (pun intended) 8)

The wet-suit divers didn't use hot water from a thermos to fill their suit before they got in?

That is our typical procedure whenever many of us dive wet here in Maine, it cuts the initial shock and it saves over all body heat (energy). It may only extend the dive another 10 or 15 minutes, but it makes a difference.

And then of course another hot water thermos (or two) is waiting for after the dive... :)
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:13 pm

Nice!!!!

DH regs are the best ice diving regulator choice!
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:14 pm

sorry, double post... not sure what happened. Must be the cold...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”