Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Regulator ID help

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:48 pm

I recently acquired a partial regulator that has no label, and finished it with spares I found. The spares are standard USD parts.

I figured it is a Broxton regulator, but then realized it has no locating tabs on the box or drillings in the valve body to accommodate them. Every Broxton I've seen has them, but I'm no expert It has a two piece IP spring retainer/adjuster, not the one piece Spaco type, but that could have been upgraded.

Any opinions? I'd be grateful for any help!

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Regulator ID help

Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:22 pm

It looks to be mismatched cans from seeing the hose retaining ridge on the exhale horn and the smooth horn on other. That dates the exhaust can as from a later regulator. The body and associated can seems to be early Broxton due to the rough casting of body. I have a red label one that has same ugly body and both horns are without the ridge. My earlier Spaco (stamped "made in Canada" but maybe from France and assembled in Canada) actually has a nicely cast body. The real distinctions of a Spaco vs a Broxton is the noticeably smaller diameter of the Spaco horns, which do have ridges, and the fact that Spaco had bright chrome work. I read somewhere that the rough castings were some early batch of Broxtons that may have been cast in US instead of France or Canada. Even though they looked crappy a bunch must have been sold to eager divers because they keep showing up. It is possible that some early Broxtons lacked the adjustable retainer, but I can't verify where I got that notion.
The older I get the better I was.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:32 pm

Thanks for the info, Bill. I didn't notice the lack of a ridge on the intake horn. I was suspicious that the boxes were mismatched due to the difference in condition.

Dang! So that means I have to search for a matching bottom box....

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:00 pm

Vancetp wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:32 pm
Thanks for the info, Bill. I didn't notice the lack of a ridge on the intake horn. I was suspicious that the boxes were mismatched due to the difference in condition.

Dang! So that means I have to search for a matching bottom box....
Also means I need to go do battle with snakes, wasps and mice in the barn looking for one, but I think you may have already gotten all my mismatched Aqualung stuff.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:04 pm

I keep getting stuff like this. I have a bunch of incomplete Dacors in a bin that I keep looking for parts to finish. When I find something, I usually get a partial regulator attached to the part I need, and the whole thing starts again with a new regulator to find parts for. With this one, I have to find the bottom box for it, AND a top box to match the bottom box!

I hope nothing attacks you out in the barn!

Vancetp
Master Diver

Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:41 pm

This 2 piece bottom box might become a "JC Higgins" Mistral. I have a single stage top box that matches. I know someone who can do the blue paint, and I have one of Eben's labels.

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:08 pm

antique diver wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:22 pm
It looks to be mismatched cans from seeing the hose retaining ridge on the exhale horn and the smooth horn on other. That dates the exhaust can as from a later regulator. The body and associated can seems to be early Broxton due to the rough casting of body. I have a red label one that has same ugly body and both horns are without the ridge. My earlier Spaco (stamped "made in Canada" but maybe from France and assembled in Canada) actually has a nicely cast body. The real distinctions of a Spaco vs a Broxton is the noticeably smaller diameter of the Spaco horns, which do have ridges, and the fact that Spaco had bright chrome work. I read somewhere that the rough castings were some early batch of Broxtons that may have been cast in US instead of France or Canada. Even though they looked crappy a bunch must have been sold to eager divers because they keep showing up. It is possible that some early Broxtons lacked the adjustable retainer, but I can't verify where I got that notion.

Today I opened up my red label Broxton that I think is 1951 or maybe earlier. I had forgotten the true internal construction due to 10-12+ years passing since last peek, and was surprised at the lack of adjustable retainer, and now we have proof of that version existing. Also didn't remember if it had indexing tabs. It doesn't. BTW, it still works pretty well.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:49 pm

Thanks for the update!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”