Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
USdiver
Master Diver

New Recruits

Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:58 am

I've been the lone man out, the only DM at my LDS, diving with vintage equipment for the past decade: diving the local quarries sans BC, octo, SPG, and relying on my j-valve equipped cylinders. Well earlier this month, we graduated two new DMs, both girls around 20 years old, and they told me they thought the twin 72s coupled with my yellow hose, black mouthpiece Jetair was just about the coolest looking gear around. [Points for both flattery and good judgment]. They told me they wanted to learn to dive with vintage equipment, becoming only a little anxious when I told them the main thing that they would have to get used to was diving without a BC. Still, curiosity is a strong motivator, so yesterday we had our first outing with vintage gear. We decided that we would dive as a team, with me in my typical vintage kit, one of the new DMs in her regular gear and the other using a 72 equipped with J-valve and a set of Alan's cotton harness straps, a Phoenix equipped DAAM with an SPG and an old Conshelf 2nd stage as an octo [just in case]. We would weigh ourselves to be neutral at around 30 - 35 feet and go nice and easy on a +/- 30 minute loop around the quarry., have a nice surface interval, with a debrief and then repeat with the other DM using the vintage gear while her buddy would then dive modern.

Success!! They both loved it! My favorite comment was, 'that regulator is older than my dad'. They found the equipment just as easy breathing as their modern kits, and the diving without the all encumbering poodle jacket, 'like flying'. Of course, we've known that for a long time. Still this outing gave me some faith in the new generation, maybe all is not lost.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: New Recruits

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:27 pm

Wait a minute. 20 year old girls in vintage gear? Photos/videos please! This might make an interesting addition to the next SHF show. Just thinking out loud. :)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:33 pm

I had the same thought as Mark. :)
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 am

Wow, that's a great story USD! And congrats to those girls for having the interest and the courage to give it a try. I especially like their comment "Like Flying"... That's exactly the way I feel about it. And I think that's the way even Cousteau described it. You must have done a good job making it fun for them.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:17 pm

Good for you Mike maybe I'll see you at White Star!

couv
Master Diver

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:46 pm

Two thumbs up to you!
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:26 pm

keeps reminding me I need to build the daughter's PRAM.....

she will dive it with a small wing (like dad does)...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”