Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Wing position with Kraken and Kraken back plate.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:16 pm

I do pretty much the same thing except I sling the hoses to get as much water out as possible. While they are hanging I occasionally will sling them again to try to remove as much water as possible until they are no longer have any loose water in them.
Herman

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:53 pm

I agree with rinsing and drying the hoses.

The quicker you can dry anything, the less chance of anything growing in it. To quickly dry my hose loop, I blow dry it using the outlet of a small shop vacuum. That little vacuum cleaner is dedicated to this purpose and it has never seen any dust.

Here is a link to the vacuum that I use.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stinger-2-5 ... /100021998

It dries the hoses in about 20 minutes or less.

The hose from the vacuum cleaner fits perfectly on to the regulator hose loop. There is no need for any modifications. The only thing that I did was write with a magic-marker all over the vacuum: “Not for cleaning”, “ this vacuum for clean air only”.

BTW, the concept of quickly drying, after rinsing, also applies to wetsuits and booties. I use boot driers (the kind sold for fishing waders) and in my experience, that controls any smells better than any soaking in any disinfecting chemicals or other cleaners.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

couv
Master Diver

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:04 am

After slinging and flinging my loop, I hook it up to the hose on my CPAP machine-then I turn the machine on high to blow dry the loop for a couple of hours.

Am I the only old fart here who uses a CPAP to sleep?

I like Luis' idea, but don't see any reason why one could not use a vacuum to draw air thru the loop to dry it out. This way it would not have to be dedicated.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:16 am

couv wrote:
Am I the only old fart here who uses a CPAP to sleep?
Er, no. I joined the ranks of the apnea-elite a few months ago. Now, if I could figure out how to add a second hose....... :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:11 am

couv wrote:

I like Luis' idea, but don't see any reason why one could not use a vacuum to draw air thru the loop to dry it out. This way it would not have to be dedicated.
You could, but there is quite a bit of moisture in the hose convolutions. The vacuum I am using is wet/ dry, but I prefer to keep it dry.

I also keep this vacuum clean because I do use it as a blower for other regulator experiments. I used it with my flow meter to test regulator exhaust and a flow resistance through hose loop (with and without mouthpiece valves), etc.

The vacuum is not that expensive, so I actually ended up buying a second one to use for cleaning. It is small and handy around the shop. There is actually a little brother to this one that is only $20, but I didn’t see in my search. I bought both at Home Depot (a couple of miles from my house).
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:19 pm

I remove the hoses and the mouthpiece. The MP and WW's go into a plastic pitcher of warm water and Clorox at about a 100/1 ratio for 15 minutes, then removed and blown dry with the little lady's blow dryer on low.

The hoses are then thrown in to the next load of whites with a quarter cup of Clorox, removed before she can put them in the dryer (don't ask) shaken quite a bit and hung up outside or blown dry again with her blow dryer - amidst her constant head shaking and "OMG" ing

Don't forget to write down where you've left the clamps. LOL

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”