Rossg
First Name: Ross

Kraken Solar Eclipse Dive

Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi, Guys... I recently took a trip to Hopkinsville Kentucky to enjoy the '2017 Great American Eclipse', from underwater... using my Kraken, of course! Here is a link to my YouTube video (a rough cut):

https://youtu.be/NZe59WRlsvY

... and here is the YouTube description:
"Ross Grasse from Lakeway, Texas witnesses the Great American Solar Eclipse of 2017 from above and below the surface! This took place at beautiful Pennyroyal Scuba and Blue Springs Resort in Hopkinsville, Kentucky, about one mile from dead center on the line of totality. The weather conditions could not have been better...Half of totality was spent on the surface (With everyone freaking out when the corona appeared!), followed by a descent to 30 feet for the remainder. A stunningly memorable time! Special thanks to my incredible wife, Angela for making the trip with me...and many thanks to the owners of Pennyroyal Scuba, Dennis and Kris Tapp, who made this dive possible. Kris, his father Dennis, 7 others and myself are the first 10 divers ever to be certified by PADI as Solar Eclipse Divers... It's true; we actually received a specialty c-card!"

I thought you might enjoy the Kraken footage... as always, it functioned perfectly!

Ross Grasse
SSI Divemaster
Lakeway, Texas

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Re: Kraken Solar Eclipse Dive

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:45 pm

I guess you have the DSV on your rig? - Looks like it works great. Are you being facetious about the PADI Solar Eclipse Diver?

Rossg

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:27 pm

georgeaustin wrote:I guess you have the DSV on your rig? - Looks like it works great. Are you being facetious about the PADI Solar Eclipse Diver?
The DSV works like a charm... As you can see in the video, one can now totally relax on the surface and not worry about free flow... It is also extremely comfortable when using your favorite mouthpiece. ... I give the DSV four thumbs up!

PADI actually created a Solar Eclipse Diver specialty card for this awesome event. The idea came from the owners of Pennyroyal Scuba in Hopkinsville, Ky (Dennis and Kris Tapp, both PADI instructors and super nice guys). I called them on a whim about three months ago because I noticed that they were right on the line of totality... PADI signed off on the class about a week before the eclipse...To get the cert we went through an 'eclipse' class, made an eclipse dive plan, and did a pre-dive solar eclipse briefing... it was incredible fun and worth ever mile we drove from Texas to get there.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Thanks for sharing! Can you email me a few pictures or screen captures for use on the VDH FB page and for future promotion?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Rossg

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Absolutely, my pleasure... I will nab a few stills and have them to you shortly.

USdiver
Master Diver

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks for the video. This has got to be the best way to experience a total eclipse.

4/8/24 Gilboa or White Star.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Rossg

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:33 am

As a lifelong passionate diver I can't imagine experiencing totality any other way... It was clearly the best of both worlds...It is actually difficult to describe the feeling one experiences when the corona suddenly appears during a total eclipse.... I myself felt like one of the apes freaking out at the bottom of the monolith in the movie, 2001: A Space Odyssey... A primal feeling to be sure... So let's recap: Basically at some point I was a flipped-out scuba diving ape holding a GoPro on a selfie stick happily breathing compressed air through my Kraken! Evolution truly rocks!... lol

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”