guyharrisonphoto
Skin Diver
First Name: Guy

Want to Try a Kraken, Can Anyone Help?

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:56 pm

I am seriously considering getting a Kraken for my underwater photography. However, I would like to try one, which probably includes someone showing me the ropes, before I take the plunge.

I am in South Florida, but can travel to North Florida any weekend. If anyone would be kind enough to help, the cost of the dive, tanks, and dinner and drinks, are on me! I would want to try the reg with the special VDH backplate/wing to get a feel for the entire package.

If anyone wants to come down to Blue Heron Bridge for a great macro dive, I can show you around also.

you can reply here, or pm me, or email [email protected]

Thanks,

Guy

Pedro
Skin Diver
First Name: Pedro

Re: Want to Try a Kraken, Can Anyone Help?

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi Guy,

I'm a bit too far from Florida to offer mine for a test dive, but as a fellow photographer I can say I really like it. Did you ever dive a double hose?

For me the first few dives were quite different, but once I got used to it there was no going back. Let me know if you have any questions from a photographers perspective, would be glad to help

Cheers,
Pedro

guyharrisonphoto
Skin Diver

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:15 pm

Hello Pedro,

How does it breathe in the "horizontal trim" position or slightly head down, for macro photography? Same question in the slightly head's up to vertical position for scenics or big animals?

How noisy is it in terms of inhalation and exhaust?

Did you get the dedicated backplate/wing/harness?

Thanks!

Pedro
Skin Diver
First Name: Pedro

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:07 pm

This is all very personal and others may disagree, so please take it for what it's worth:

- breathing. While horizontal-ish, it's far more comfortable to breathe than single hose. It does not deliver more air, it's just a more natural flow/feeling. The way my unit is tuned, I can't feel the cracking effort nor the change in flow direction, which I could with any single hose reg I tried to date. Not to mention them bubbles being gone from my sight.

- positioning. In the first 10-15 dives I could feel a difference with even minor changes in positioning. Maybe I just got used to it, but now I only feel the difference if I have to turn and rotate quite a bit (trying to find a buddy etc). More extreme positions can get too uncomfortable to my taste, like upside down or belly up. If you need to shoot often in weird positions it can become a problem. This is the nature of DH regs and there's not much you can do to improve it (other than not shooting in weird positions, of course). Mild to moderate tilts have not been a problem to me: the reg does not change performance enough to distract me from photography side of things.

- noise. At first it's pretty awkward. It came from the "wrong" direction and sounded louder. After 10 or so dives I stopped noticing it. The main advantage in terms of noise is to move it away from critters, not from your ears (again, IMHO). Now that you mentioned, I don't think it makes much noise while inhaling. I usually scare fish away only when exhaling carelessly, not inhaling. Will try to pay more attention to that.

- others. I got the VDH backplate and 28lbs wing. I dive recreational in cold water (dry suit) and it's been more than enough. It was my first backplate and I never tried DH with a jacket bcd, so can't compare it to anything else. It just works fine for me. I also got an HP 12L tank so I can place it really low in my back for optimal positioning of the reg.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Pedro,

Very nice description. I like your observations.

It is very interesting the different perceptions and descriptions that I read and hear from different divers.

That perception also tends to change with time for many new to DH regulators.

Thanks
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

guyharrisonphoto
Skin Diver

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:09 pm

Pedro,

Thanks for that practical insight!

I would like to try one of these. Is anyone coming to the Sea Hunt event who can show me the ropes?

Guy

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Silver Springs does not allow scuba diving period. The Sea Hunt Forever cast is there by special arrangement and some very strict guidelines so there is no opportunity to dive one there.
Many of the cast will be at Ginnie Springs on Thursday for some last minute adjustment dives before the weekend. Perhaps one of them could help you out? I may or may not be there so I'm unable to commit to helping.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

guyharrisonphoto
Skin Diver

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:43 pm

Unfortunately I can't get away during the week. But the offer of dinner and drinks still stands to anyone who can show me one!

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”