guyharrisonphoto
Skin Diver
First Name: Guy

Want to go all-in with Kraken and modern rig

Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi, first post here

I am interested in a kraken for my uw photography. I want to go all modern on a single tank rig. My ideal set-up would be the reg, the LP inflator hose, the SPG clipped on left hip, my octo under my neck on a detachable necklace with a 48" hose routed under my right arm. It looks like only one HP port, so no place for a transmitter for my AI computer?

I currently use a BP/W and would want to know how the VDH plate works and what 30 to 40lb wing would work with the plate and some insight into how to put it all together such as hose lengths, etc, given the different regulator positioning.

Also, I am a big fan of the Zeagle Express tech. Some folks have said that it works great with the Kraken. Can anyone post any photos of how they have it rigged?

Most important, though, is there any way I can try out a rig before I drop big dollars? I want an actual feel for how it breathes, how to clear it, how to rinse it, and just the basics of adjusting my trim with the lower tank (especially because I tend to dive big steels 100 or 120 HP). I am in S.Fla and can meet pretty much anywhere around or south of Orlando over a weekend. For anyone willing, dinner's on me!

I don't know if there is a PM feature here (just learning the site) but my email is [email protected]

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Want to go all-in with Kraken and modern rig

Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:42 pm

If you want to join us at Sand Dog XII...CLICK HERE

I will be glad to pack my Argonaut rig for you to try out. Mine is configured as minimal and streamlined as possible yet retains all modern attachments. I don't dive with a necklace or a second pressure gauge but to each their own. Several other Argonaut Kraken owners will be there who dive from the tropics to under the ice with them in various configurations.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

guyharrisonphoto
Skin Diver

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:04 pm

Hi Bryan,

That weekend event sounds perfect, but, I have a meeting in New Jersey on Monday the 18th so the only day I could come would be the 16th. Too bad because I would like to have some shallow water where I can stand and tweak things. Can I do that at Blue? I will make the effort to get up there.

I can't say how much I appreciate your offering to let me try your rig.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:10 pm

In the second half of this video, I am diving a Kraken in slightly colder water then you'll encounter in Florida. https://vimeo.com/124034771 . I have an octo clipped off on my waist. I could just as easily do the bungie thing around my neck. I do that with my modern tech gear. The Kraken plays well with a single tank and a Vintage Double hose back plate. With double hose regs, the reg position on the body is critical. There's a lot written up about that in various places on this website as well as references to books you can check out.
Like Bryan said, join us at Sand Dog. We can set you up and give you the demo!

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:51 pm

Welcome to the board.
A lot of UW photographers here that use the AK, myself included. I use a Zeagle ET HOWEVER they need to be modified to dive well with any DH reg. The VDH back plate is your best option but you current BP/wing may depending on how it is set up (no STA for example). I will have my ET at Sand Dog so you are welcome to try it. There are HP splitters available that you can add to the AK to give you both computer and SPG, personally I don't like AI computers so its not an issue for me.
There is no need to have the octo under your chin, the DIR purpose for that is so you donate your long hose primary and you use to octo, that is no an option with a DH reg so there is no reason to configure it that way and thinking about it for a minute, the octo presents a hazard in that configuration....I can see some nutbag grabbing for it and getting your mouthpiece instead. Join us at SD, you can get a lot of experience, see the regs in person and frankly dive with some of the best DH divers around.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:29 pm

guyharrisonphoto wrote:Hi Bryan,

That weekend event sounds perfect, but, I have a meeting in New Jersey on Monday the 18th so the only day I could come would be the 16th. Too bad because I would like to have some shallow water where I can stand and tweak things. Can I do that at Blue? I will make the effort to get up there.

I can't say how much I appreciate your offering to let me try your rig.
Blue Springs has plenty of shallow space before you head down the chimney it is super easy diving. Bring a couple of single cylinders, 80s are fine along with the rest of your gear and we can get you going. If you can't make it please let me know so I can leave my Argonaut rig at home saving space in the car. Hope to see you there!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Dave2
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:14 pm

guyharrisonphoto wrote:......
I currently use a BP/W and would want to know how the VDH plate works and what 30 to 40lb wing would work with the plate.....
I've been pondering this also ( but with an 18-25lb wing).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:18 pm

During the design process I tried to take into consideration all the typical diving configurations used by most modern (and vintage) divers. The use of three LP ports and a modern HP port (and their position) was a very important in the design for compatibility and flexibility.

The use of pressure gauges, an octopus, LP inflators for BC and drysuit inflator are all important in modern configurations and I tried to accommodate as many combinations as possible.

The use of an analog pressure gauge in combination with a wireless transmitter is not uncommon so I made provisions for that configuration. I specifically designed the HP port to accommodate the two port adapters that I have seen in the US market.

This swivel adapter will work with most transmitters:

In the Global catalog this adapter is shown as:
"57215... A 90° swivel with two 7/16-20 outlets for multiple consoles, gauges, or computer devices."

Therefore, Bryan can order you one or it is also available from several other on line supplier, like Northeast Scuba Supply, etc.

The XS Scuba adapter will fit, but I am not sure if it will play well with the transmitter.

BTW, the LP port on the top right end is also design to accommodate any type of adapter or swivel. Therefore it is easy to add two more LP ports if needed for other configurations or tools.

The HP adapter or even an LP adapter (on the other end) will be behind the regulator housing and will look like part of the regulator.

The backplate design will accommodate a large variety of wings. The ones you already own are likely to work fine. The plate was specifically designed to play well with any double hose regulator and it is a particular good match with the modern design of the Argonaut Kraken.

If you already own a Zeale Tech express, you can move the wing from that BC to the VDH backplate. That is what I personally dive most of the time. It fits great.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:06 pm

I know at least one of the regular members in this group (he goes by Nemrod) that often uses his octopus on a bungee around his neck below his double hose loop. He used to do cave diving and likes the bungee configuration. Therefore it can be easily done, but I personally do not see any advantage.

Like Herman mention you will want to share air with the octopus, not with your primary hose loop. Therefore, I don’t see the purpose of attaching it to your neck. It just adds one more attachment to put on and take off. I use an elastic holder on my right shoulder D ring. It is very visible, very secured, but can be easily deployed.

With a double hose the octopus is just to share air, not for yourself. If you want to use the bungee because it is comfortable to you, go ahead… But if you are doing it as a back-up to the double hose… there will be no need, once you do a few dives and get familiar with the double hose.

The second stage in the Argonaut is more reliable than other second stages (see note), because it is environmentally sealed (it should never see any significant amount of water and never any contaminants). The second stage in this double hose is also design to be very forgiving to any type of wear or corrosion.

Note: the reliability improvements is part of the design and to a high degree can be shown by empirical observations. Octopus second stages are notorious for free flowing due to sand and other contaminants getting into them.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:27 am

Dave2 wrote:
guyharrisonphoto wrote:......
I currently use a BP/W and would want to know how the VDH plate works and what 30 to 40lb wing would work with the plate.....
I've been pondering this also ( but with an 18-25lb wing).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have been selling the VDH plate for more than 2 years with the XS Scuba 30lb bladder and more recently the option of the Dive Rite 25lb bladder. (See website store for details) Both types I have used extensively and recieced a lot of positive feedback from customers on. There is a lot more information and discussions on the subject in the Modern Vintage Diving section of the forum. I may someday offer an 18lb wing when I can afford to build it myself or can offer it from a manufacturer at a reasonable cost to my customers. Currently there is not one that fits the bill.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:40 am

Just learn proper weighting and bouyancy control and wings are optional, I have one on to make dive ops happy but almost never use it...come to SD and you will see what I mean.
Herman

guyharrisonphoto
Skin Diver

Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:42 am

Wow, everyone, I can't believe I got so much actually useful and well considered info in such a short time. Looks like this will be a fully functional modern reg!

I am looking forward to meeting all of you in May. Too bad it can be only for Saturday . . .

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:52 am

guyharrisonphoto wrote:Hi, first post here

Also, I am a big fan of the Zeagle Express tech. Some folks have said that it works great with the Kraken. Can anyone post any photos of how they have it rigged?
Luis has asked me to photograph a recent rig of the VDH plate with a Zeagle Express Tech BC. I will post these images and knowing that Luis has edit power, he will add captions to the photos.

Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:57 am

Alan, if you can could you please post a picture showing your rig all together with the pressure gauge and inflator hose setup. I'm doing one of my own but it's not finished. I think it's a great idea and plan on using it myself.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:05 pm

Ah, the benefits of being old and retired . . . . .

The set up that I use is based on a couple of ideas. 1) I take pictures and as such need to think (worry) as little about harming the reef as possible, thus I have tried to eliminate "dangles" and be as stream-lined as possible. 2) Holding and using a large system (sorry not into Go-pros) I want to be as hands-free on dive gear as possible.

My inflator, SPG and octo hoses attached to Argonaut Kraken. I use a low-pressure adapter to angle the inflator hose to my left shoulder and a high-pressure swivel to direct the SPG hose also up over the left shoulder.

My octo hose attaches to the lower port so that it can be directed under my right arm.

The inflator hose and the SPG high-pressure hose are fastened together with electrical shrink tubing and attach to the left shoulder along with the inflator tube with a piece of velcro strapping.

With this configuration, I can see my gas condition conveniently as the SPG is next to the inflator control. Thus, monitoring the tank pressure is automatic whenever the BC is inflated or deflated.

My octo hose is bright yellow and of standard single hose regulator length (not octo length). That way the octo hose passes under my right arm and across my chest to anchor on the left shoulder "D" ring. (In the proper TRIANGLE area). Being short, the octo hose is tight to my body, thus eliminating a "dangle".

I use a wrist mounted computer, so when hanging on a mooring line for safety stops, I can see my computer/time count down and use my free hand to hold onto my camera system.

This system works for me, but your results may vary.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”