Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: New Argonaut Kraken Owners Post

Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:20 pm

J Walters from Maine diving his Argonaut Kraken in Cozumel todayImage
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:29 am

Johnathan Bird diving his Argonaut Kraken with the sharks at Stuart Cove
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:05 pm

Bryan wrote:Johnathan Bird diving his Argonaut Kraken with the sharks at Stuart Cove
Another great application of cordura nylon (or kevlar) hose covers :mrgreen:

When I did a day of diving there, the team I was with with kept having one particular reef shark wedging his head between our reg hoses and our heads. We were diving single hose regs at the time with miflex hoses, after getting back on the boat we noticed some fraying on the hose- glad we hadn't decided to use our rbs on those dives.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:43 pm

When we were there a determined shark tore up a hose covered in flexible emt.....So nothing will really deter them if they set their mind to it.

I have HD nylon covers in the works for the Argonaut (see Cozumel thread) but they will never be shark proof.

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:33 pm

Bryan wrote:When we were there a determined shark tore up a hose covered in flexible emt.....So nothing will really deter them if they set their mind to it.

I have HD nylon covers in the works for the Argonaut (see Cozumel thread) but they will never be shark proof.
Sounds good, and wreck/cavers will enjoy having them also. The abrasion we had on our hoses was due to their skin rubbing against it rather than biting. We were amazed at how rough their "skin" is (it's actually tiny teeth like structures that point to the rear of the body.) Like having a wood rasp or file rubbing against your hose, I can only imagine what it would have looked like against a a corrugated hose, especially made out of silicone or EPMD.

BTW, the link on your shopsite doesn't seem to work for ordering the reg, it says something link no items available or such...

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/A ... ry=8222661

Sorry, the requested product is not available

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:04 pm

Link to Argonaut Kraken ordering.

CLICK HERE

Now lets get back to sharing photos of divers using their new Argonaut Kraken regulators.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:48 am

DD-10 and I had two beautiful dives today surrounded by whales, sea lions and eagles:

Some top-side views:

Sea lions -

Whales -

I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:02 am

Thank you for sharing. DD10 going strong!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Bryan wrote:Thank you for sharing. DD10 going strong!

DD10 is great regulator. Still breathes like butter and I've done ZERO maintenance in two years.

Here's a video of us diving an old military dump site. To say the least I was a little excited about how well my research paid off: This is Chris's first double hose dive and he had to use his backplate due to a weight pocket issue, otherwise that reg would have been much lower on his back.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZKVuAQPFQ[/video]

Thanks again for providing such a great product.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:01 pm

This past week, we ranged far and wide around Sitka Sound and Salisbury Sound. I'll post more video's when I get some editting done, but here is a video I shot outside of Samsing. This is just an unnamed reef covered in plumous anemones:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqCyB9_w9zY[/video]

Creed
Master Diver

Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:20 am

A shot of my dive today. My BC rode up unexpectedly, so the Kraken was riding way too high. Still a fun dive :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

frogman63
Lung Diver
First Name: Brian

Thu May 12, 2016 9:19 pm

My Kraken and I had the opportunity to travel to Fiji last month for a couple weeks of diving. She performed flawlessly.
IMG_4517_1.jpg
IMG_4520_1.jpg
Of course, it traveled with some T-shirts from TSM.

Brian

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu May 12, 2016 9:33 pm

Awesome picture....mantas not bad either ;)

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Fri May 20, 2016 4:06 am

uwstlth wrote:
Bryan wrote:When we were there a determined shark tore up a hose covered in flexible emt.....So nothing will really deter them if they set their mind to it.

Sounds good, and wreck/cavers will enjoy having them also. The abrasion we had on our hoses was due to their skin rubbing against it rather than biting. We were amazed at how rough their "skin" is (it's actually tiny teeth like structures that point to the rear of the body.) Like having a wood rasp or file rubbing against your hose, I can only imagine what it would have looked like against a a corrugated hose, especially made out of silicone or EPMD.

BTW, the link on your shopsite doesn't seem to work for ordering the reg, it says something link no items available or such...

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/A ... ry=8222661

Sorry, the requested product is not available
Hmmm.... Here is a possible solution other than Kevlar for shark divers. JMO.

https://youtu.be/P7eF1g2l5IE
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri May 20, 2016 10:20 am

Keith shares this info from his first dive with his new Argonaut Kraken!
The photos were taken at a seawater dive site known as the "Anchor Spot" in Loch Fyne on the western coast of Scotland on 10th May. Water temperature was around 8 degrees centigrade. I have had 4 dives now using the AK and it is working perfectly.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”